• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stars and Stripes puffer with unusual eating habit?

Well judging by my name you know that I like puffers. I've had all different types of freshwater and saltwater puffers over the last 23 years. I feed my puffer every other day or so with your typical carnivorous foods (shrimp, mussels, squid..etc). One day when I was feeding the other fish I saw the puffer eat pellet food. I couldn't believe it! In all these years I've never seen any of my puffers go for flake, pellet or any other food besides frozen seafood. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I also love puffers but canot dedicate a system at this time, post up some pics if you can,thanks

i had a freshwater spotted puffer that i acclimated to Saltwater that ate large pellets.

They crab pellets though and they were sinkers.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a Mappa Puffer that ate flakes and pellets, or whatever else I fed the rest of the fish.

mikem said:
I had a Mappa Puffer that ate flakes and pellets, or whatever else I fed the rest of the fish.

Wow thats cool..I guess they just adapt more when they are in a tank. I have him for about 6 months but he didn't start eating pellets till 2 weeks ago. They are just generic spectrum pellets but they do sink to the bottom and he eats them from there.

I used to have 3 puffers at one time and they would eat everthing!
Flakes, pellets, clams, mussels, etc....
They were 2 green spotted and another wild caught one forgot what it was sorry

I've had a dogface puffer for about 6 months and feed it the normal frozen carno food (squid, clam, krill, etc.). Since I saw your post, I went out and bought some pellet food, as well as some marine gel food, just to try. Mine ate both! I guess they do eat everything.

Re: puffers puffers puffers!

Most of our puffers eat ANYTHING! I feed them a pretty varied diet, but the Stellate Puffer (Starry, not a Stars and Strips) will eat pellets and flake. My Miurus, a freshwater puffer will ONLY eat frozen Krill. We have a puffer in every tank (except the reef!).

http://www.sandeeland.com/FishCam/ - Take a look at our Dal. puffer and File fish ... the lights are still on ...

cam_3.jpg

:)

R

reseter5

i always had puffers.. and they ate everything.. naturally they eat snails and crabs and such because the shells wear there teeth down ... eventually my valentini looked like it had bucked teeth from not grinding them own..lol