• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Steam Punk Lamp

Pretty neat stuff. Cabin Fever in Lebanon PA is a great place to find "supplies" for this stuff. BTW, I have a 1" OD marine fresnel lens. These were mast lights on a very large ship. I have 3 but plan a use for only 1 for now. May sell one of them. PM me if interested

Paul B

NJRC Member
Today I am designing another Steam Punk Project. Still in the very early stages. The bottom part is a 1910 or so Broadway light housing, I am not sure what the middle part is but it is some sort of timing device with all brass gears.

The top is from the Railroad in the 60s. It has some huge relays in it.

I have some bicycle chain and sprockets that may go on it and it will have a lot of lighting and movement.

Today I am designing another Steam Punk Project. Still in the very early stages. The bottom part is a 1910 or so Broadway light housing, I am not sure what the middle part is but it is some sort of timing device with all brass gears.

The top is from the Railroad in the 60s. It has some huge relays in it.

I have some bicycle chain and sprockets that may go on it and it will have a lot of lighting and movement.

You must have a very bright house. You seem to be always making another lamp :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
I had to go to the gallery to take a picture of this because I realized i didn't have a finished picture. I added a fan with streamers so you can see it is running and some more copper tubes with lights.

Two people who came to the gallery seem to want it so there is a bit of a price war going on.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Christine, Thank you.
14 pieces sold in Uptown Manhattan on 74th street in a Gallery called "An American Craftsman". He moved and I don't want to send stuff there so now the rest of them, 6 so far are in a gallery on the North Fork of Long Island NY.

I don't want her to sell them yet as I want a showing for myself or with another "artist" with about 10 pieces in South Hampton.

I have two more under construction but as they are a hobby like everything else I do, I have no time limit and just work on them as I find parts and time.

The base of that last one, is a vintage battery charger from the 20s and the heart of the thing is an old carburetor but I didn't research to see the car it came from.

The glass dome piece has a Model A Ford Carburetor as the heart.
These pieces cost me sometimes $300.00 for parts which can be difficult to find.
Here are some of the pieces that sold in the Gallery in Manhatan

Thats my wife with one there. Shes making a weird face like she just ate a black worm.

My problem is that I have to many hobbies. I recently found this trunk in the garbage, it is a steamer trunk from 1890.

It had hundreds of square hand made nails in it which I took out and straightened, I got new canvas and handles from the period and renewed all the metal and wood.

I also lined it with cedar and put in the original vintage picture in the top of the lid. Not shown in this picture

Now it's in my home storing blankets for Grand Kids.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I finished a new Steam Punk Lamp. This one is strictly Steam Punk and there are no gears or motors.

You push down the lever with the weight on the chain and it contacts a magnet on the top of the vintage telephone box lighting the lamp. The water valve handle dims it.

That is a temporary bulb, the much cooler one is ordered.

This is going in the gallery. I think I have 7 or 8 pieces there now and need at least ten for a show.

I like it.

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday we were at an art gallery where my SteamPunk "Art" pieces are displayed along with other artists and there was a photographer there because it was a huge crowd that could barely fit in the small gallery.

The photographer noticed my pieces and apparently liked them so she took pictures of myself and my wife in front of one of them for "Dan's Papers".

Dan's Papers is the largest free paper on Long Island NY and covers all of eastern Long Island . About 2,000,000 people. It is in every restaurant, bar, supermarket, card store, laundromat and lfs.

So they tell me that this Thursday I will be in there. Christie Brinkley I am sure gets that paper so I am sure she will want me to make her a piece. OK, Maybe not. :rolleyes: