• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stray Voltage being emitted by UV light

So yesterday I plumbed in a 57w Aqua UV light to my system. It is in-line on my return to my display tank from my sump. Yesterday, after setting it up I noticed my Temperature on my Apex jumping from 79 to 84-85 degrees. It was all over the place. I unplugged the UV light thinking maybe the quartz sleeve wasn't enclosing the bulb so I shut down the light and removed it from my return temporarily (union fittings saved me here).

Well instantly the tank went down to 79 degrees. Today I put it back in-line and sure enough my temp probe is all over the place. My regular glass thermometers are reading 79-80 degrees. So the temperature clearly is not instantly spiking from the heat of the uv light.

I found an old grounding probe and plugged it in. Miraculously my temp probe is reading 79-80 degrees again.

Is this stray voltage very bad? I bought this UV second hand from a member on here and was only able to connect it this weekend. Do I need to replace the transformer? I had to unplug it from my power strip cause it keeps tripping my GFI.

Last edited: