• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

String in MAG Pump - Doh!!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yet another Doh! moment for me.

Awhile back I used a piece of nylon string to pull back the wire for the Cobalt 1200 used on the reactor. I cleaned that pump about a week ago, and untied the string and just left it dangling. The pump went back into the sump and I totally forgot about the string.

Today I wake up and go into the fish room and say to myself, "Wow, it smells like ocean in here today." I also don't hear the trickle of water I usually hear as well. I quickly discover the MAG return pump isn't running and find that that string was sucked into the MAG. DOH!

Disaster isn't over yet, because I pull out the MAG and go to unscrew the cover. Two of the screws literally fall off as I touch the screwdriver to them.

I have a spare MAG somewhere, but wanting to get this back up and running ASAP, I pull out the string, give the pump a quick cleaning, reassemble, and put it back into the sump with only four of the six screws. Amazingly it still worked.

The DT temperature had dropped down to 72F, and once the sump cleared, I could see the ATO hadn't run in some time. I'm guessing this happened early evening, yesterday. Lights are still out, and fish still sleeping/hiding, so I can't tell if there was any impact to the tank.

I'm off searching for that spare MAG. Does anyone know if some place just sells the screws? They are not a standard screw I'd find at HD. (And I really can't complain....This MAG ran a Bowfront prior to this tank being set up in 2008....running non-stop.)

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only thing i can think of is take it to a hardware shop and see if they can match the size and thread count.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Moonlights just came on. Sad day! :( Longnose Yellow Butterfly that I've had since 2008 didn't make it. Darn. Lost a good friend today.

I can see the yellow tang, the two clowns in the DT and two clowns in the sump. Still MIA are two Pajamas, Coral Beauty, Melanurus Wrasse (guessing still buried) and Scopas Tang.

Two acros are totally white and the large teal milli has some white areas.

DT is now at 76.5

Sorry to hear Paul. I use a Mag pump to mix water for water changes. I'll take a look tonight what model it is. Feel free to borrow if you need it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks @saltkreep88 , @BuGG , @kschweer and @Hawkeye . It would now appear that I've also lost my Coral Beauty as well. Haven't seen it all day....and no body. A simple 6 degree change in temperature and two fish die! I was really bummed out today. Maybe I should be happy that nine of the fish survived.

Jun, thanks for your generous offer. I have a backup MAG 9.5, so I'm all set. The "string" MAG is still running strong, but with only four of the six screws. I've been kicking around going over to a DC pump and this might just push me there.

Thanks again.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Might have been lack of oxygen

Even with two MP4o's going?

I will state that the Butterfly was always out and about. When lights when out, everybody disappeared, except the the Butterfly. He'd stay out and swim around non-stop, so maybe he was using O2 more.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
This is kinda scary. I always assumed the flow in the tank would be enough to keep everything alive till a problem was noticed. I ran 2 circuits to my tank and split the sump and power-heads between them for redundancy's sake. I'll have to add this to my list of 108 things that can go wrong.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry about your losses, i know how it feels making a stupid mistake, hopefully there are no more losses.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul

That sucks for the future I have a couple Mags and a Eheim you can use in a pinch.

Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks everyone.....it helps. Bob thanks for your kind offer but a couple things....the original MAG is still going strong (but with four of the six screws), I already have a back-up MAG, and @BuGG gave me the heads up of a guy in Edison selling a new MAG 9.5 for $50....so I'm set for pumps....I now have three running MAG 9.5's