• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

stuck with lighting

hey everyone im new to salt tanks and new to this site.... ive been reading around and you guys seem helpful.... i just started a 65g tank and i am preparing my tank for corals and anenomes.... im not getting them anytime soon but i just wanna be ready before the time comes my tank is 36x18x25 any suggestions on lighting

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Craz

Welcome to NJRC. I have a 36" Current Outer Orbit it has 2 X 150w MH and 4 39w T5s. If the ambient temp of the room doesn't get that hot this may be a good fit otherwise the MHs will probably create a temp problem and require a chiller. The other choice would be a all T5 fixture (although you won't get the shimmer effect). The T5s run cooler and alot of our members are getting great results utilizing them. There is also a cost diff between MH and T5 fixtures with the MHs commanding more money. I'm sure you will get a few more recommendations. Hope this helps

Bob

malulu

NJRC Member
may be 4 or 6 T5, with one 150W MH (just for the shimmer effect?)

some LED light also have the shimmer effect, but not sure how bright for them to see the effect when mixed with T5.

crazkid479 said:
hey everyone im new to salt tanks and new to this site.... ive been reading around and you guys seem helpful.... i just started a 65g tank and i am preparing my tank for corals and anenomes.... im not getting them anytime soon but i just wanna be ready before the time comes my tank is 36x18x25 any suggestions on lighting

depends on the corals and anemones...

On one extreme, if you got a tank full of sun corals and a condy anemone - i'd say get a pair of VHO. Heck if the tank just had sun corals you could just use any normal fluroscent (obviously you'd target feed the sun corals).

On the other hand - if your going "hard-core" and want a lot of sticks I mean SPS and crocea clams and clown hosting anemonies, then you may start thinking about digging deep into the wallet and checking out some of the options mentioned by bob and malulu.

Personally speaking I had a 55 with VHO and kept a variety of softies (hammers/frogspawn/zoas) with no problems.

As a newcomer though - nothing is harder than watching newly bought fish/corals perish. Urge you start with easier corals and if you can't afford the lighting now - to skip the anemonies. Clowns need them in the wild to survive - but in our glass cages, do perfectly well without.

Welcome to njrc and keep us posted on what you decide.

well you see im not interested in starting my corals yet im just trying to set myself up for corals with low to moderate att/maintanence when i asked how many watts were needed i heard 200 to 300 then i heard 500 to 600 which i think might be a little high but what do you guys think?

watts per gallon should be used as a guide - not a be-all end-all.

Consider that a longer tank (that is short in height) with a 4 inch DSB (or deeper) will need less light than a tall tank that is bare bottom.

Or compare two identical sized tanks, one is BB and the other has a DSB - one could argue that the extra 4~5 inches with the DSB would merit the benefit of less light since the corals are that much closer.

For a 65 gallon tank that is 24 5/8 tall, it really depends on what kind of corals you plan on keeping. Bob's suggestion would probably cover most any kind of critter you want. A bank of T5s would also work in a pinch. I'm not familiar with 36" sized tanks so I can't say anything with experience.

seems like a good plan to start with - I don't have exp with T5s but it sounds like as good a plan as any to start with.