• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stylo Death

Jeremy. That was actually very well written and much appreciated. Personally I do use RODI water. But I am now (based in no small part on your eloquently worded suggestions) going to have my water lab tested. Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy. That was actually very well written and much appreciated. Personally I do use RODI water. But I am now (based in no small part on your eloquently worded suggestions) going to have my water lab tested. Thanks for sharing.
I am glad i was able to help, i was worried the message would get lost in my writing. It very well could be one of those things we do not often think about such as what does the water supplier do to the water before it gets to my home, you would be surprised whats in the water in "Acceptable levels" for human consumption. Some townships treat there water with cheaper methods that require alot of chemicals while others filter mechanically, older water systems with iron mains used lead to seal the joints between pipes (look at Flint Michigan) they didnt know they had a problem until they switched up they way the made and received water. The "acceptable levels" for human consumption is probably horrible for coral which require much much stricter and cleaner water chemistry, I would even go as far as to say with the addition of salt taken out of the picture some of our water processing habits for our tanks probably produce much better quality water then the taps we drink out of.

I am glad i was able to help, i was worried the message would get lost in my writing. It very well could be one of those things we do not often think about such as what does the water supplier do to the water before it gets to my home, you would be surprised whats in the water in "Acceptable levels" for human consumption. Some townships treat there water with cheaper methods that require alot of chemicals while others filter mechanically, older water systems with iron mains used lead to seal the joints between pipes (look at Flint Michigan) they didnt know they had a problem until they switched up they way the made and received water. The "acceptable levels" for human consumption is probably horrible for coral which require much much stricter and cleaner water chemistry, I would even go as far as to say with the addition of salt taken out of the picture some of our water processing habits for our tanks probably produce much better quality water then the taps we drink out of.
Definitely also going to dive in on the water test but I make my own water from faucet RODI system. It could every well be something I’m not looking for.

Send pics of media cups and sump layout. I am aware most people use GFO but it has always bothered me how prevalent. Water changes should keep its necessity down. And since it works like any chemical absorbent it starts out stripping rapidly and slows down as it is consumed so unless you use small amounts and change it often then phos will bounce and any bouncing is worse than high of the same thing on a reef. Remember stability is key. However it’s fairly obvious you are a carful diligent Reefer and I certainly am no marine biologist hahaha. In short my initial guess is your phos is to high and best practice is to change what’s making it get high.

I switched media cup and filter sock last night in an attempt to see if change up would benefit at all.

Attachments

• E1D5BFF1-4020-4510-8D62-7A09DF6DA473.jpeg
    E1D5BFF1-4020-4510-8D62-7A09DF6DA473.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 2EEE6C37-4B0C-4B68-9355-1795C7C78CCA.jpeg
    2EEE6C37-4B0C-4B68-9355-1795C7C78CCA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • E8F843C3-4656-4D73-A74F-D446CD66832B.jpeg
    E8F843C3-4656-4D73-A74F-D446CD66832B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Update. Phos is 0.6 as of same time yesterday it was 1.0. So it appears I’m spiking around 1.0 but between 0.5-1.0. Wonder if media cup move made a slight difference.

Update. Phos is 0.6 as of same time yesterday it was 1.0. So it appears I’m spiking around 1.0 but between 0.5-1.0. Wonder if media cup move made a slight difference.
Interesting observation. Very interested to see if the change maintains them lower like that.

Interesting observation. Very interested to see if the change maintains them lower like that.
I’m going to test over the next 3-4 days at the same time and see if it’s a natural fluctuation or the media cup move benefited the tank. If it spikes again, I think I’m going to just dive in on a reactor instead of using the cup.

The hardest tank to keep is a mixed reef. It’s probably your soft corals killing your sps corals.
That’s deep. I would wish not. Anything you may know regarding that that I may not? The hard coral was no where near any softies upon acclimation.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
From the picture a lot of your corals are really close to each other. Corals are always killing each other for real estate. You need more rocks

From the picture a lot of your corals are really close to each other. Corals are always killing each other for real estate. You need more rocks
The stylo started dying before the picture you saw. It was solo on that rock before Dave’s $10 drag sale. And before that the Millie I had was also isolated so I can’t believe that’s the case. I would agree i need more rock and am in the slow process of adding rock to the back ground while also trying to not cause an outbreak.