• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Subliminal's Fluval Evo 13.5 Build

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Someone on R2R was preaching the virtues of these little supplemental LED strips by 21 LED, so I picked one up. I think I paid $19 for it, with a power supply. It is rated at ~12k, with 2 white lights for every blue. Anyway, took a picture with the stock EVO lights and then with the supplemental added. I think it looks really good...just a hint more blue:

IMG_0160.jpgIMG_0161.jpg

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Whelp. Black clown is gone.

So far my clownfish journey was:

Buy two clownfish. One hated the other.
Took the hater back and got a new clown who fell in love with the other original.
Other original was too far gone from the bullying and died.
Got a new clown to go with the new lover...but the new lover didn't love him and instead bullied the crap out of him.
Took the bullied back and decided to just keep one.

Got a red shrimp instead.

He doesn't come out much yet. ;-)

Someone else enjoying the tank as much as I do:

IMG_2973.jpg

And I love finding new stuff in the tank...like this perfect lil starfish. :)

IMG_2978.jpg

DYIguy

NJRC Member
A barnacle, masked or sharknose goby or a barnacle blenny would all do well in that size tank- are you saving the halide for a larger tank?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
A barnacle, masked or sharknose goby or a barnacle blenny would all do well in that size tank- are you saving the halide for a larger tank?
No, I'm saving the halide for when I have time to build a hood for it. :) I'll get there...but for now everything is super happy.

Except for my fish...they're all dead...the last clown this morning...brooklynella. Sucks. Seemed fine as recent as yesterday.\

At this point, I'm just going to go fish free for a while to let any parasites die, and then I'll see where I'm at.

Currently looking for a peppermint shrimp, rock anemone, and some more coral...but slowly...Damnit, Damon...slowly. :)

Subliminal

NJRC Member
So walked into a deal I couldn’t refuse and got a 16hd prime for my tank. Holy Hannah what a difference!

set it up with the David Saxby profile and man do things pop!

Wish I had an orange filter to do this thing justice.

the guy I bought it from also gave me a small power head. A Sicce. Said it didn’t work and maybe I could fix it. Took the impeller out and cleaned it and she fired right up. Ha.

So, in one day I got more flow and more light.
A1AF1D22-F33D-40A6-9956-E594C7C90395.jpegA5E45BA4-0BC3-4750-B5ED-AAA971647F94.jpeg

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I bought a 'Rainbow' BTA from a local guy here in Princeton a few weeks ago. When I brought it home it was all sucked in and about the size of a dime...maybe a nickel. It immediately moved into my rock pile and disappeared for a day or two.

After that it chose a spot it likes and its been growing. Today it looks especially bulbous, so I snapped a shot. It's about the size of a half dollar now. I cannot wait for this dang clown to find it and call it home. :)

IMG_3094.jpg

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Figured it was worth an update.

All of the algae that was growing on the top of the rocks has seemed to disapear. I dare say I'm skipping the ugly stage. hehe...time will tell I suppose. I set the tank up on Feb 5th with all live...well, everything.

The only algae I really have is in the first pic, and that is some long hairy algae that came in on that rock from another member and has stayed exactly the same...like it's got a beard or something.

One of the clowns I brought home from Aquaradise infected the tank with Brook...so I'm in my 2nd week of a 6 week fallow period.

Tank inhabitants: Fire Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, conchs, snails, hermits, red crab and emerald crab and a baby BTA.

All of my SPS has pretty good polyp extension...and I'm going to take that as a good sign for now! :)

A few pics from today:

IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3148.jpg
IMG_3145.jpg