• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Suggestion on Anthias Species....

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I'm looking for 6 or 7 anthias to put in my new 215 gallon but don't want to have to feed several times a day. What species would you guys suggest that can be fed once a day, are not very picky eaters and have a good mortality rate(that won't break my bank)? Also any place local in Central NJ to buy them?

Thanks,

Dan

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We got our tompsons anthias at The Hidden Reef for a decent price (for an anthias). We lost one of the 5 we bought, very early on. The remaining 4 are thriving and great additions to the tank. I've never seen them anywhere else, but I'm sure you could pick your favorite shop and ask them to order them in if you like their price.

I think that the feeding 3-4 times per day is a little ridiculous. I don't know anyone with Anthias that follow that rule.

I've had a Helfrich Fire fish for almost a year and I feed my fish once a day sometimes every other day.

As far as not breaking the bank Lyretail Anthias are pretty and inexpensive. I'm sure if you called up your LFS and told them that you are getting "x" amount they will cut you a deal on the multiple fish.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll agree with Mike, Before my Sohal decided he wanted to be the only fish in the tank I had a nice school on Lyretails. They ate well, and looked great.

Aquatic Obsessions, Red Sand Aquarium and All Quatics to name a few shops that have good livestock.

Any Anthia's, other than Bartlett's can be difficult.

Compatibility with other species you plan to keep should be researched before buying them.

Daily feedings are OK if you have good skimmer and do weekly water changes to keep down nitrates, etc.

HTH

Doug

I've done very well with Bartlett's, Bimaculatus, Tricolor, and Lyretails. My only outright failure was with Ventralis and purple queens. The Ventralis is a very small species and quite likely really did need more frequent feeding or food much smaller than I was able to offer. Purple Queens I now know are very diffcult to get started eating.

I would absolutley recommend introducing the entire harem at one time, and let them sort out their hierachy among themselves. Newcomers just aren't tolerated, and will most likely be harrassed to the point they will not be able to eat, and will succumb. I bought a pair of squarespots some time ago, and lost the female. Sexing immature males and females can be really tricky, and I have to believe they are the only ones that can tell the difference. I've tried to introduce what I thought were females on 3 different occasions. To say the least, he knew they were males, and I didn't. I've given up on that one.

i got a deal on 3 tura anthias (i think that they are the same as the Purple Queens). they are extremely beautiful but are a pain in the butt to try and get them to eat.