• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Suitable Sump

So I really want to add a sump to my nano tank. The problem is that my stand won't fit a standard size tank larger than a 5 gallon inside of it. :mad: Found it out after I bought a 10g and did a "test fit" under my stand.

The stand itself had a 17"x15" interior footprint and the doors aren't an issue to get the sump in and out.

Worst case scenario right now would be an old salt bucket converted, but then I lose the 'fuge capability.

I'm thinking a custom acrylic "box" might end up being the route I have to go but...

Can anyone think of something else I could use for a sump?

Well, if you really wanted to put a tank in there, you could put some flat wooden pieces in the stand and behind it to level it, and give you more room, thus giving you the ability to put a tank larger than a 5gallon, or you could get a custom plastic container made to fit your measurements (not sure where to get it from though, but I know they make them.)

Good Luck,
Steve

vangvace said:
So I really want to add a sump to my nano tank. ...

My thought would break this down in to two basic question.

How large is your tank?

What do you expect to gain by adding a sump?

In my opinion, if your tank is less than 25 gal or so, adding a sump would only be a marginal improvement. If it's under 40 gal or so then it becomes possible but optional. I use a 10 gal tank for a sump on my 30 gal reef, and it is nice how I can put a lot of the equipment there, but if I were doing it again I'd use all hang on the tank stuff.

As you point out, you can have something custom made, but that's going to be rather expensive, and not really that cost effective. In this case you might be better off putting the effort toward a much larger main tank.

18g

sump gains:
experience
water volume
storage space
cheato bin
cleans up the top of my tank

The dilemma I have with going large is that I never know when work is going to make me move again. Even though I want to go large and currently planning a tank. This one will travel with us so...