• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump build big

well this is the sump Im making out of 3/4" plexiglass, why because I fell into it for real cheap. This sump is 70x22x20 why because that's the size of the spot under the display tank. Im installing a 265 in wall tank that this sump will be attached to. 1st shot is the tank in stall almost complete with the wood work.

here is the plexi all cut to size and taped together I have to puchase the bonding agent Im using Weldon #14 for its syrupy consistancy and not the Weldon # 3 or 4 like most due to the size of the plexiglass. Ill post more when I get the glue. All so got my Acrylic for my skimmer build.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I"m not sure I understand the bubble trap. Will you be raising up the center baffle when you bond the joints?

Well rich I looked into the Weldon #3 but I don't like the watery consistancy so I think Im going with the #14 for it's thicker properties.
It says Its used by Professional aquarium builders. Ive done Body work (owned a body shop if you need painting or such things) and mechanical work for years so Im not bothered by the whole professional use only label.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The whole object of the #3 and #4 is to wick it into the joint. I use the pins method with #4 on water tight joints. You use the pins (guitar string 0.12 I think) to hold the joint apart for about 60-90 seconds to allow the solvent to "soak" in. It is important that the edge is routed and as ripple free as possible. The more perfect the edge is, the better the joint. Saw cut finishes aren't going to work with #3 or #4. I've never used #16 as my primary solvent for the joint. I'm sure it will work but I can't really comment on that method. I have used #16 in corners where I wasn't real happy with the joint or a bubble showed the possibility of a leak. The one good thing about learning on a sump, especially your own, it don't have to be pretty.

Good Luck!

You know I saw that guitar string method and didnt understand it but now I get it. A moment of clarity I gather. Im doing a test piece first.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Again, your edges need to be pretty much perfect for a good joint.

Well "My dad has an awsome set of tools he's a television repair man, I can fix it"

Ill sand the joints smooth down to 200 grit if i have to I have a 8 HP Ingersol rand compressor so air tools are plenty in my garage.
Thats me bragging if I can help anyone let me know. will to help with anything.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your going to want to use a router on the edges, sanding will round them and cause less surface contact area and undulations.