• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SUMP INLETS KITS AND SOCKS BY CPR AQUATIC

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use them. Works well. One of mine broke after a year. Other one holding up good.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use the 7" unit (SHIA7). After using it for a few weeks, I thought I was having skimmer problems. I wasn't, the socks were removing so much gunk, the skimmer had less to take out.

Be prepared to change the sock out ever 4 days or so. Get 2 or 3 spare, when you get down to one, just toss them in the washer in hot water with no soap. They come out great.

pgordemer said:
I use the 7" unit (SHIA7). After using it for a few weeks, I thought I was having skimmer problems. I wasn't, the socks were removing so much gunk, the skimmer had less to take out.

Be prepared to change the sock out ever 4 days or so. Get 2 or 3 spare, when you get down to one, just toss them in the washer in hot water with no soap. They come out great.
did you connect tubing or pvc to the unit ?

To be fair, I must state the I have never used the product in question.

However, after buying several other CPR products and having them break on me, and found them to be of marginal quality, and also seeing that others have had the product break on them, I would be very hard pressed to purchase anything made by CPR.

I think filter socks are an excellent way to go, but look for a hanger made by someone that builds quality products.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
DaveK said:

However, after buying several other CPR products and having them break on me, and found them to be of marginal quality, and also seeing that others have had the product break on them, I would be very hard pressed to purchase anything made by CPR.

I think filter socks are an excellent way to go, but look for a hanger made by someone that builds quality products.

I love my aquafuge. I bought it used, and it's in great shape, and seems to be well constructed.

So, there's a contrasting view of CPR for ya. ;)

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
pistolpete said:
did you connect tubing or pvc to the unit ?

Attach a 1" small piece of PVC to the hangar connector, then use standa 1 1/4 flex house to connect to it. Works like a champ.

Subliminal said:
DaveK said:

I love my aquafuge. I bought it used, and it's in great shape, and seems to be well constructed.

So, there's a contrasting view of CPR for ya. ;)

Let me just say that one of the products I purchased was an AquaFuge. I found the center brace came undone and the thing split open. I replaced the center with a piece of 1/2" acrylic, and drilled and tapped holes and held the new brace in with nylon screws. Then the hangers on the unit broke, and the thing went crashing down on my sump. I have the sump behind my tank, rather than in the stand. This caused a major flood and mess.

I would have to say that the 1/4" acrylic used in it's construction is far too lightweight, the glue job was poor, and the hanger design was poor.

The other product I had that was built by CPR was one of their overflows. This unit also had multiple problems. It was impossible to clean the siphon area. Because the siphon long and narrow, it would trap air bubbles, so it required an additional pump to keep the air bubbles out of the siphon. The small airline tubbing would often clog with algae. Then air would fill the siphon and finally the siphon would fail causing a flood. All that could be dealt with by constant cleaning, but then, one of the bulkhead fittings they used cracked and the threaded part broke off, causing another flood. I replaced one bulkhead fitting, put it back in service, then the other bulkhead fitting broke off the same way. Yep, yet another flood. Finally I just replaced it with a Lifereef overflow, and no problems since then.

I'm glad the one you have is working out well for you. Perhaps the earlier units were better constructed. However, I think you can see why I don't happen to be a fan of CPR products. (smile)

You are correct, but look at it this way. At the time, I had more or less already spent the money and only had the things for a short period of time, and you figure that first or second problem may just have been a fluke.

However, I don't plan to get anything from them in the foreseeable future.(grin)