• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump Levels

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Always mark you sump level with tape, paint etc. I neglected to do this and my skimmer would not stop overflowing. Short story, sump water level was to high and once reduced the skimmer worked normal again.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
is your sump not baffled? usually this will negate this issue and will keep the water level constant for the skimmer to perform efficiently.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It has baffles. The water level in skimmer chamber was very high. The return pump chamber was probably half the height.
I ended up lowering the water level in skimmer chamber to half total height and return is 1/4 to 1/3 total height.

I am having this similar issue with my,sump.. I have three chambers one for the intake where the water flows in,threw the media the next the refugium and the third the skimmer and return pump.
The third is always the lowest and because I don't,have an ATO at the moment fluctuates the most causing either no skimming or to much skimming finding,the middle ground and keeping,it going,has been a struggle I am always playing with the skimmer adjustment.
With my,skimmer I have found,the lower water levels produces the best foamy skim the higher level produces watery skim

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
That is why you keep the skimmer in the section where you can max the level. Raise your skimmer and keep that level always at max height. It will never overflow. The level in the chamber where you have the skimmer should always stay the same.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is why you keep the skimmer in the section where you can max the level. Raise your skimmer and keep that level always at max height. It will never overflow. The level in the chamber where you have the skimmer should always stay the same.

Agree, I don't know what I was thinking when performing WC. That section was almost full. :frown_new: