• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump Question

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How many GPH is your overflow(s)? The space for the skimmer is less then 7"(7" minus thickness of the acrylic)this would limit you for any future skimmer upgrades.

Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
To first answer your question in this last post, I believe a ¾ inch pipe off the overflow delivers 700 gph.

Now I agree with Magic that the skimmer section seems thin. Get rid of that one piece of acrylic (or glass) on the far left. Just have the filter sock in the corner with the skimmer in the rest of that area. Flow comes from the skimmer area in the refugium; through the bubble trap (make sure each of the acrylic pieces are separated by 1 inch); and then return pump to the tank. I can’t see it clearly, but the outer bubbletrap acrylic looks to be at 7 ½ inches. With an inch between each wall, that only leaves 5 ½ inches for the return section, and that does not include the thickness of the acrylic….I’m thinking more like only five inches. What return pump do you have and does it fit?

the first column in white is the gravity flow column. 3/4" pipe = 660 gallons per hour under gravity flow. The 1410 was under pumped pressure.

Nice find steamer. Keep in mind these numbers are on paper. In the real world that 660 is prob more like 450-500. Especially cause you have air venting with the water this causes a loss so do elbows and the submerged drain in your sump.

Thank you for everyone's input.

I have changed the spacing of the bubble trap and put more room in the protein skimmer area.

One more question...

What should I put in the refugium? I was thinking a two inch bed of live sand and 3 pounds of live rock. What else should go in there?

It's up to you. personally I just put chato in since I do water changes from my sump.
if you have sand and rock in your dt you dont need it there too. tends to build nitrates. but it's your call.