• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sump question

I have a cpr aqua fuge http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafugepro.html and want to put my pump for the skimmer in the first compartment where the water enters it from the display. When i try to do this it drains all the water out of this and stops the flow through the fuge. When this happens should i fill the first compartment up with more water so it is at its normal operating height? Or do i need a new sump that is set up differently.

It is an external skimmer. Right now i just have the pump placed in the last chamber right before my return pump for my display. Basically what is going on now is the water is coming out of my skimmer and then feeding right back to my skimmer pump. What i want is the skimmer to be fed as soon as it comes out of the display and then fed to the chamber of my return pump for the display. I will try and get a pic in a couple minutes. thanks

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim

It sounds like you have 2 different flow rates. The gph of the fuge intake isn't large enough to keep up with your skimmer output. Is the skimmer body full before turn it on?

Bob

Sounds to me like you just need to fill the skimmer body up before you turn the skimmer on. If its empty, it is filling itself from the sump, and dropping the level in the sump. Either fill the skimmer body before turning it on, or turn it on and replce the water it takes in the sump with fresh salt water. Just be sure that the sump can handle the volume of watever the skimmer dumps (which shouldn't be much) if the power goes out.