• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Suncoral not eating....

Hello Guys I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I just purchased this suncoral, 3 days ago. I have tried to spot feed him but his polyps are always closed. I'm afraid he will die is there something i can do that I am missing?
1tu4go.jpg

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
put him in a tupperware container with tank water and place some food in with him, usually this helps to get them to open up.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have no personal experience with sun corals but I hear they can be difficult. Also hear they like low light and low flow but again that just what I have heard. I am more following to see what others say cause I been thinking of getting some myself.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've heard a lot of people have success with the method i gave above, personally, i haven't had to go that far, what i did was put some reef food like coral frenzy in the water for a few minutes, turn off all the pumps for 15 to 20 minutes and once the water came to a stop, placed mysis on the top of the tubes. This was usually enough to get it to eat after 10 to 15 minutes, after that they started coming out at feeding time and i just fed them like i would any of my other lps, turn off the pumps, spray food at their feeders and give them 5 minutes, then turn the pumps back on.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
All good advice above. You can also wait until the lights go out for a little While to see if it extends its Polyps then and feed.

I've heard a lot of people have success with the method i gave above, personally, i haven't had to go that far, what i did was put some reef food like coral frenzy in the water for a few minutes, turn off all the pumps for 15 to 20 minutes and once the water came to a stop, placed mysis on the top of the tubes. This was usually enough to get it to eat after 10 to 15 minutes, after that they started coming out at feeding time and i just fed them like i would any of my other lps, turn off the pumps, spray food at their feeders and give them 5 minutes, then turn the pumps back on.
I most definitely will try this. Now I have cut top odd plastic bottle and place over him and fed him that way. But still no polyps came out. I will try your method.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sun corals usually grow under cliffs or in caves they are low light corals if you have an overhang put him under there see if he starts to open more. How old is your setup?
This setup is new. I will change his place I thought where he was had low light, also on the bottom but I will put him under a ledge or something

I feed mine during the day. Put a container on top of it with a hole. Then put the food in with a turkey baster and blow gently. I haven't fed it for a while though. It gets old pretty fast.
Yes that's what I tried with a cut off half plastic bottle. Then I stuck a hose through the screw top and let all the food surround him but still didn't open up. Maybe bc I just got him? I just hope he doesn't die.

THIS ^^ i agree 100%.

Good luck reef docg! I used to remove mine from the tank to target feed each polyp. I was pretty fanatical at first. Very easy to frag pieces too for friends.
Well I am by nature a pretty giving person so i don't mind sharing, but I would like it to survive and grow before i can frag .. lol
Well I put it under a shelf rock this morning, and it appeared the polyps where coming out. So i will see when i get home if any sign of open polyps. I was hoping to feed it again. I figured since everyone is saying it gets old fast I might as well enjoy it for the time being.

Quick update :
The sun coral hasn't fully opened but I can definitely tell it wants to. I can see it trying g to puff up a bit.
My question is do I keep tempting him/her with food?