• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"Supermarket" Cleaner Clams

So I decided to play around and dumped 2 littleneck clams in my QT. They opened right up and they sure are ugly. After a week there, I decided they would go into the display as an experiment. They burrowed into the sand and I haven't seen them since. Anyway, I know these guys are really temperate water clams so they probably won't last long (figure the starfish will eat them eventually anyway). What's another good "supermarket" clam I could use as a cleaner? Looking for something under $1/piece (Littlenecks were on sale for 37 cents that week).

that's funny, cal.....interesting to know that they can survive in the tank....I was at the supermarket a few weeks ago and was getting ingredients to make paella.....had to pick up some of those clams and was thinking the same thing!....however, I don't think I'm going to do it..laughs....are they still alive and well?

They're still fine. I guess they were too big for my starfish. Actually I'm not sure I will know if they die since they buried themselves. I just need to find the right one that can actually survive reef temps. Summer months my tank will hit 84 or 85 on some days.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Just get the normal reef clams. You can usually get small ones for $40 or 50. i wouldn't mess with something like that in my tank. If it dies in there it may cause a spike of something bad.

haha. that's funny nathan. i won't do it but it's fun to read. i did however try a fiddler crab a while back after a disappointing fishing trip.

it lived maybe a week or so then it was sitting up straight in the same spot for several days. it's possible it was it that position for more than a few days before it finally dawned on me that this thing was just the shell.

later

One of them is still alive. I was looking at my sandbed and a big puff of sand came shooting out from below at his last known whereabouts. Guess he needed to spit out some stuff.

Actually on the subject of poop, my hippo tang likes to poop right on my yellow tang's face. This is a regular habit of his. And almost every time, the yellow tang has to taste it. I've always wondered if it was a dominance thing.

To be fair, the hippo always does this when I pour the food into the tank and everyone is in their feeding frenzy. Of the current fish in that tank, the yellow is actually the tamest eater (if you can believe it). What is so difficult to believe though, the yellow never "accidentally" eats blackworms but always "accidentally" eats the hippo's poop. Fish are strange sometimes I guess.

I have taken clams that I have gotten when I go clamming and crabing down in Belmar/ Barnaget area..
And put them into the tanks and they do very well...
Even alot of snails that I have caught (Vibex Nass.)
They are unbelievable cleaners...
They are more tolerate due to being from the bay areas localy so the temp and sality varies quite alot out they..
But they seem to do very well...
They are just filter feeders so they clean the water colum..
Good Luck with them...

thats pretty kool i was thinking of putting just regular clams in my reef. i have put hermits and shrimp from sandy hook in a few times and they actually lasted a few months

Last summer I threw a bunch of snails and tiny crabs from Barnaget Bay into my tank and they lasted for at least 6 months. They might not be as pretty as others but they do the job!! Oh yea...did I mention FREE???

~~~BriaN~~~

I did the hermits and snails also...
The hermits didn't make it but the snails are still going and breeding...
I also have a few scallop shells with a bunch of featherdusters on the from the bay and they are doing great... beautiful colors they are just small..

I have store bought clams in my tank now for over a year. Your right they burrow into the sand and the only thing you see from them is there puff of sand. I have also have some die on me and strangely enough they actually surface before they die. It's strange but then my snails and emrald crab have a feast.

N

njstillwell

Any type of supermarket clam will only live for a short time.. i my self also tried that theory and they also lived for about 4 months then opend up and my xenia took over the shell

it's it a illegal to snatch up things from sandy hook? I've always considered it, but I figured it was not worth getting a federal fine? :) I although thought it was funny that you can fish there (?), but other stuff was off limits.

Just curious!