• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Swimming Pool ?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Has anyone ever used baking powder or is it baking sode to increase the PH in a swimming pool? Spent enough money this week on chemicals because when I took the cover off it was green like pea soup. No idea why it happend this year.

Thanks,
Mark

All I use super shock, when I open the pool and it's green I shock it and it's clear in 24-48 hrs, never had to used anything else.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Baking soda. They sell it in mongo bags at Sams. I use that for PH adjustments in the summer time.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Has anyone ever used baking powder or is it baking sode to increase the PH in a swimming pool?

I didn't mean to imply that it would. I was just answering the question! :)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks for info. Already put 4 gallons of liquid super shock in and its not green anymore, cleared in 2 two days as Phil stated. Had the water tested at the pool store and was sucked in for 2 cans of calcium, 1 can alk, 1 can chlorine buffer and something else to help clear the water. The pool is just a bit cloudy I plan to clean the filter this week. Just don't want the levels to drop and cause problems, especially the PH and chlorine.

If you shock the pool after heavy use and once a week you shouldn't have a problem with the PH, chlorine on the other hand burns off with the sun, I use one of the floating thingy's and check it twice a week. When I first got the pool I used to listen to the pool places and spent way too much money on chems, I never used or needed but bought because they suggested I did. I did some research and talked to a friend of a friend who services pools, he only asked me one question who supplies my water Township or well? I told him Town and he told me to just use super shock and chlorine. He said people with well water, well that's where all the other chems come in.

No to baking powder.

You can use baking soda or washing soda in the laundry section of the supermarket(baked baking soda) or a mixture of the two. The washing soda will raise the pH a lot with only a little change in alk. It's the same as in our aquariums.

I use these two products in my aquariums, Koi ponds, spa and pool!

$2 at the supermarket or $20 at the pool store. :)