• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Switching salt mixes?

How does one go about changing their salt mix? I’m not doing it yet but have thought about it. Can I just do my regular water change with the new salt or do I start with smaller amounts?

ctg0209

NJRC Member
I switched from reef crystals to Red Sea coral pro just by doing normal water changes. Didn’t notice any adverse effects. My tank wasn’t very mature when I switched but I did have fish, corals, inverts and didn’t have any losses throughout the process.

Most salt mixes have different Alk Cal and MAG levels so changing could really mess things up. I would do like Chris said very slowly so the swing isn’t as bad.

Unless your doing like a 50% water change you can just do your normal water change. The difference in alk will only raise it very little. If your new salt has a higher alkalinity then your old salt

I currently use Red Sea coral pro and had ran out. Couldn’t find it local but someone helped me out and I don’t need to switch. I was still interested in the question though. Thank you all the response!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Depends on the size of the system, type of system and the percentage water changes you typically do/wan to do. Some people will just switch and not sorry, other will mix the salts together and do it over time (start 25/75 new to old and adjust up for example).

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I use RSCP, but have run out a few times and grabbed reef crystals from local big box pet store. Haven’t noticed a difference when changing, but I’m not sure if that’s because I do a AWC, 3 gallons throughout each day.