• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

swollen eye

I have a six line wrasse whos eye is swollen looks popped out but is just swollen wondering if this is a disease i should worry about or just from fighting with the other fish Purple Pseudochromis and a fp clown

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We had this happen to your damsel when we brought him home. We did some research in a fish disease book and thought it was popeye disease which you cannot treat. We went back to the fish store where they informed us it was just an air pocket they get from being moved around. After a few days it went away. We just moved him again and he got it again. Most likely it is just an air bubble, just keep an eye on his eye.

alk appears a bit low (I assumed you measured in meq/l). I would suspect testing error as it's very hard for seawater to have such a low alk at normal salinity. What is your SG measuring out at? Unfortunately popeye can be caused by a lot of things so not so easy to say it's any one thing. Some things it can be:

Water quality (looks like this is ruled out if all your tests are good)
Physical Damage (usual culprit)
Bacterial/Fungul Infection (also usual suspect as it can come about from the physical damage)
Gas Pocket (hard to determine and treatment is limited)
Secondary infection from underlying disease

As you can see, it's going to take some patience and guesswork. I would just monitor and treat once you can determine what is the cause.

can it spread to the other fish if it wasnt caused by another fish which i suspect because his tail fin is chewed but watching the tank i dont see anyone picking on him

He might have injured it when other fish showed initial aggression and that fish may have calmed down at this point. As stated earlier, this one is difficult to determine. You need to examine other symptoms such as breathing rate, exactly what extent the eye is popped/cloudy/etc, any skin abnormalities, etc.

Then it is most likely physical injury. Watch out for secondary bacterial/fungal infection. Get some antiobiotic/antifungal medication in case you need to administer it.

he may also be getting attacked at night as the fish claim a territory.
i had some chromis' that attacked my sailfin at night but were peaceful with him in the light. he's probably fine and it might go away or might not.