• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T-5 Lighting Opinions

these are very deep and are 5 sided complete half moons. they are not like the current contoured reflector that just has a small bump between each bulb. these are also much larger than the ati powermodule's reflectors as well. the downside is that the 8 lamp fixture is a full 24" wide.

i just checked out those hydrofarm lights. those are a great price! it would be nice if they were not as wide. it looks like if you compare the 6 bulb nova to the 4 bulb hf you get the same sight since the reflectors are better in the hf? or am i wrong. i have the nova and it seems there is alot of wasted light. i do like the light but i am almost tempted to hang some mylar to reflect a little more light down into the tank.

just at the back of the tank. from the bottom backside of the light to the top back of the tank. it would only be an 8" wide strip but i think it would really help. its just closing the space between the light and the tank and reflecting the light back in. i laid a piece of mylar over all the open areas betweeen the light an dthe tank and i saw a considerable difference. much crisper. i guess its the same thing people do with the canopies.

Hey Mr.X - Fascinating deal there! How long have you been using the fixture. Is there a plexi shield covering them? If there is, is there a fan on top to keep them cool? If not, a concern may be bulb life.
Thanks

boontonbob said:
Hey Mr.X - Fascinating deal there! How long have you been using the fixture. Is there a plexi shield covering them? If there is, is there a fan on top to keep them cool? If not, a concern may be bulb life.
Thanks
i've been using them for about a month. no, no plastic shield, and no fans. it's just like a tek light, only better. ;D