• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 bulb question

I'm wondering if anyone can look at my combination of T5 lights and advise me.. I want a configuration that doesn't look (too) yellow and looks similar to my current Coralife Power Compact lights. My current configuration is 1x96w 10K and 1x96w 50/50.

I already put an order in, PA group buy, for this configuration:

But some have suggested something like this instead since the midday bulbs are to yellow:

Sorry for being so indecisive. A few people said that my lighting choice was probably not the best so please change my previous bulb purchase of:

2x T5 Giesemann Powerchrome midday 39 Watt
2x T5 Giesemann POWERCHROME Pure Actinic 420nm 39watt

TO these:

T5 Giesemann POWERCHROME Aquablue Plus + 15k 39watt
ATI 39W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
T5 Giesemann POWERCHROME Pure Actinic 420nm 39watt
ATI 39W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent

or

2x ATI 39W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
2x T5 Giesemann POWERCHROME Pure Actinic 420nm 39watt

Thanks guys!

it's kinda hard to recommend bulbs cause everyones taste is differant, if you want more of a white color I'd go with 2 giesemann actinic +, 1 6500 ge star coat and either a aqua blue special or a aqua blue +, if you want more of a bluish color then replace the ge with either the aqua blue special or aqua blue +

You would have more options of bulbs and get a wider spectrum of colors to pop if you went with a 6 bulb fixture but that depends on your budget and if it would fit on your tank.

Thanks! I ended up going with this:

2 - ATI 39W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
1 - T5 Giesemann POWERCHROME Pure Actinic 420nm 39watt
1 - ATI 39W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent

and I picked up a UV 10k just incase the setup is too blue.

I agree that it would be easier with 6 bulbs, but the cost and the size are not sitting well. I only have a 12"x36" tank so 6 is pretty large.

Thanks again!

Since this thread was moved over to Equipment convo I wanted to add this in... I can float around a little (mentally) so take this what it is... but i posted this on another forum and it's some "food for thought" for those whom are on the edge if they should move over from power compacts to T5's.

This is taken from another posting I did...

Begin quote: ""

I have been contemplating a lighting upgrade. My hope is to upgrade to something that will last several years while also minimizing total overheard/maint.

My current coralife aqualight PC 2x96watt appears to be somewhat of a dead end. The unit has been discontinued and it doesn't appear to be powerful enough for my extra deep tank - although i'm only keeping softies and zoo's.

I was looking at buying the 36" Nova Extreme Pro also, but actually just put in a group buy for a year's supply of bulbs for my coralife instead. Should I change my order and move over to T5's? Is it cost effective long term? Do T5's suffer from algae/cyano outbreaks from wearout at the end of their life like PC's?

My wife will kill me... since i'm already upgrading my pump.

I will try to make this somewhat generic, but this is an edit of my original so YMMV

Lets assume that we already own a 36" PC Fixture that is currently being used and it has 2x96w bulbs.
Lets say that the Nova Pro 36" is $300 (fair assessement) say we use the cheaper bulbs here at $20 a piece
Lets say that the Tek 36" with 4x39w bulbs is $289 (also a fail assessment) plus it requires 4 new bulbs at $23 a piece.

Keeping the existing PC lights: (2 bulb swaps a year)
2x10k bulbs (96w) + 2xActinic (96w) = ~$169.80 a year shipped

ESU-54064 10,000K Compact FL Lamp 96watt 34" - Square Pin 2 $39.95 $79.90
PC96W-CU-A 96watt DualActinic 420/460NM Sunpaq Lamp 2 $44.95 $89.90

Keeping the Nova T5 fixture a year: (1 bulb swap a year):

3x-10K + 3xActinic = ~$120 a year (~$20 a bulb)

Keeping the Tek T5 fixture for a year (1 bulb swap a year):

2x-10K + 2xActinic = ~$92 a year (~$23 per bulb)

The first year will, of course, cost more for the Tek. But, these savings are not as obviously, as they may seem. You lso need to account for the extra cost of energy costs and the ongoing bulb purchases.

If you look at this website you can find out how much you are charged per kwh (roughly):
http://www.paystolivegreen.com/2008/...gs-calculator/

In my calc:
@ Cost Per kWh:0.16 (NJ) with all lights being on for 12 hours a day.

tek 36" w/ 4x39w bulbs = $110 a year to run
nova pro 36" w/ 6x39w bulbs = $164 a year to run
Coralife w/ 2x96w bulbs = $135 a year to run

TCO = Total Cost of Ownership

TCO for the first year:

Coralife PC = $304 to run (purchasing new bulbs 2x a year + est. energy... Lets take it for granted that the user already has a PC fixture and is deciding on upgrading..)
Nova T5 = $464 to run (New fixture purchase + est. energy)
Tek T5 = $491 to run (New fixture purchase + 4 - Giesemann bulbs + est. energy)

TCO for the 2nd year: (1st year costs + 2nd year costs)

Coralife PC = $608 (includes electric and 8 bulbs (replaced every 6 months).. again.. PC Fixture is paid for... + $169 (bulbs) + $135 ... 2nd year + $169 + $135 = $608
Nova T5 = $748 ( includes electric, 6 bulbs @ $20 (unit comes w/ a set of bulbs + 1 set of replacements), and the fixture) - $300 + $164 ... 2nd year ... + $120 + $164 .. = $748
Tek T5 = $693 (includes electric, 8 bulbs @ $23 (replaced 1x a year), and the fixture) - $289 + $92 + $110 ... 2nd year ... + $92 + $110 ... = $693

Thoughts? The TEK definitely seems like the sounder investment.... that is if the 4 bulbs are indeed equivalent to or greater than the 6x39w LUM's in the Nova. ?

"" end quote.

I just replaced my original bulbs w/ Geisemann and am very happy with the color and output. (2)actinic plus, (1)pure actinic, (1)aquablue plus
I placed them in this order:
Front- Pure Actinic
Actinic+
Aquablue+
Actinic+
Goodluck with your lighting choice.