• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 Lighting

Just wondering how many people strictly use T5's and what are you keeping under them? Looking to upgrade to a 90 gallon soon and was wondering what corals i could keep with this lighting system??

thanks

Rich

I have the Nova Extreme Pro. Keeping xenia,gsp, zoas, hammer, candy cane, mushroom and frogspawn, they all doing great except for mushroom, too much light I think.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have the 8 Bulb Nova Extreme on my 90, it is LOTS of light. (Pro wasn't available when I bought mine). Plus with all the good bulb choices out there, you can get any color you want in your display.

Thanks for all the replys.. i currently have 192 watt PC's on my tank and am very interested in the T5's.. Do they give a nice blue look? and also are they cheaper and cooler then metal halides?? and would any ebay brands be safe to try??

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I have all ice cap stuff. These blue bulbs make coral colors pop like crazy ATI Blue Plus or Giesemann Actinic plus. Both are every close to same color. They tell me the mixture of bulb is the way to get the best colors.
Here are mine
1 39W and 1 54W ATI 1200K Aquablue Special
1 39W and 1 54W ATI Pro Color
2 39W and 2 54W ATI Blue Plus (Best Blue bulbs I've ever seen Blue Plus and Giesemann Actinic plus are every close to the same can't tell them apart)
1 39W and 1 54W Giesemann Actinic Plus
2 54W ATI UVL 1000k AquaSun.

nova extreme 48" 4 54 watt $220 the pro 6- 39 W $370 I'd say that was a good deal on the light your looking at. what brand is it though? looks well made might be taking a chance but who knows

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
reeferwanabe said:
nova extreme 48" 4 54 watt $220 the pro 6- 39 W $370 I'd say that was a good deal on the light your looking at. what brand is it though? looks well made might be taking a chance but who knows
I have a fixture from these guys, built just as good as nova or coralife,it has a top mounted fan and again 5 year warrenty no one else that I know of offers that.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Extreme Pro 6 bulb unit is getting a lot of praise. This is Nova's first unit that has individual reflectors on the builbs.

Nova's stock bulbs are a bit flat. I change them out almost immediatly to:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blueplus
ATI Procolor
ATI Blueplus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

This is on the reddish side of blue, very close to a 14K Metal Hallide look.