• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 question

I got 48" fixture 8x54w for my new 90gal. with Giesemann bulbs:

2 x Aquablue+
2 x Actinic+
4 x Midday 6000k

Just wondering, is that a good set up? The light looks king of yellowish.

The bulbs you have are fine, if you want to improve on color you can add another actinic + and a pure actinic giesamann, maybe a UVL 14K

here's how I'd lay it out

Actinic +
midday or UVL 14K
aquablue +
actinic +
pure actinic
aquablue +
midday or UVL 14K
actinic +

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I run this. Its a bit on the redish side...

ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Procolor
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI BluePlus

Thanx :).

One more question: So Midday 6000k is no good? What is the difference between 6000k and 14000k?

6000K-10000K has a yellowish color, good for growth but not color. 12k-20K gives corals beter color but once you get to 20k the growth slows down (a lot)

:eek: I wanted better color, not growth ::) Thanx to a salesman helping to pick type of bulbs I have the opposite ;D Well I have mostly LPS for now, I just upgraded to new size, the SPS will come later, so I don't care for the growth now.

Could the lighting be a cause of my favorite coral (in my avatar) to have brown tint on top?

The bulb layout I suggested will give the tank a whitish-blue look, and yes mostly 6000-10K can make corals appear brown if there isn't enough bulbs for color like 14K-20k or supplement lighting like actinic's