• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5HO Lighting.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
My 220 gallon tank recently started leaking. I have placed as many corals as I could in a 150 gallon extra high tank ( 48L×24W×30H ) I had in my Garage and sold the ones that wouldn't fit.

Since it was an emergency and I had to place the 150 in a different location . I been thinking about using only T5HO lighting to light the tank. I KNOW, sounds crazy right!? I have heard of great success in growth and coloration. I know it helps blanket the corals instead of sharp shadows causing the undersides of sps to die off. I have seen them still used in coral farms as well.

This leads me to some questions I been asking myself:

1) Will a 6 bulb fixture be enough light to keep sps in a tank and still have the sand bed bright enough for lower light coral?

2) will a 8 bulb fixture be better for sps, but to bright for the sand bed?

3) what bulbs and bulb combo would be. best to use?( for visual and growth.)

Keep in mind the tank is 48Lx24Wx30H. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I run an 8 bulb over my 225 that is 27 inches deep and I can grow acros on the sand bed. My bulb combo is blue plus, coral plus, actinic, blue plus, blue plus, actinic, coral plus, blue plus. I really like the way the tank looks.

Attachments

• 16024607220635041279587231311875.jpg
    16024607220635041279587231311875.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16

EZreefin

NJRC Member
Wow! Looks great! I like the color. Is it like a 14k in person? I see you have what looks like a Lepto in the sand bed. If it is a Lepto, It's not to bright for it?.How high are they hanging from the surface? Sorry for all the questions. Lol thank you for telling me the bulb combination.

Its probably around 14k. The lepto does just fine never had a problem with it. The lights are about 6 or 7 inches off the water surface.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
Oh wow! That sounds perfect! 8 bulbs it is! Thanks for all the info! You wouldn't happen to know how much PAR is on the sand bed? Do you have any cyphastrea in there? If so is it on the sand bed under an overhang to reduce the par exposure.

Dont have any cyphastrea but if I did I would put it down low. I never measured par but it's got to be at least 200 on the sand bed. Brs did a video on 8 bulb fixtures were they show par readings.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
if i could run nothing but T5s on a tank I would. its just that changing out every 6 months that makes it add up. also, inhate when the bulbs and fixtures get all rusty and corroded due to salt. T5s will definitely do a great job growing anything though. as long as you have enough bulbs that cover the FULL tank, then you will be fine.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you already have t5 fixture then it’s ok to use. But if you are looking to buy a new light. You have to consider that t5 bulbs are expensive and will be very hard to find in the next few years.

Just on bulbs a 8 fixture t5 fixture will cost
Around $25 each x 8 = $200 and some people replace them every year.

I change them out every 16 months and t5 bulbs aren't going anywhere if anything they are getting more popular. I buy them at Christmas time when they are on sale for 10% off and we usually have a group buy for them once a year.

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Ati says bulbs should be replace 9-12 months. T5 lights are popular because they make a lot of money for LFS and bulk reef supply.
BRS has been pushing T5 in their videos for years now.
Now they also are moving away from pushing and selling T5.
Laws are in place to stop making t5 bulbs
Because led are a better solution.
Led bars will replace T5.
Ryan (BRS) on his new tank build is not using T5
And going with reef brite led bars

Last edited: