• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Table top aquariums

In my opinion, these type of aquariums look interesting, but only hold 5 gal of water. That's on the small side, even for a nano. In addition if you set it up as a nano, you are going to have the "real thing" in the tank, so why detract from it by having bunch of "fake coral"?

If you want a conversation piece, and are content to keep FW fish in it, it's fine, but for myself, I'd rather have a larger reef system and keep something a lot more interesting.

Then again I'm "old school" and believe the live stock is the prime attraction.

mott768 said:
Don't knock them till you see them, they are really nice and make a great seahorse tank.

I hate to even think about all the "exotic design" type tanks I have seen, and how nice they look from an artistic standpoint, but are very limited, and sometimes almost useless, from a practical stand point. I see this latest example as no exception to this, and stand by my original post.

Yes, I admit you could use it for a seahorse tank. You could also keep a few other things in it. Still, it's extremely limited, and it still falls into the area of a conversation piece.

Dave, that's pretty closed minded of you. Not everyone in the hobby wants large aquariums or have the room for one, or want to keep live coral. Just because you don't like small tanks doesn't mean it's a waste for someone else. Too many times I've seen people shy away from the hobby cause of comments like that. A lot of people got the bug starting with a small tank (I'm one of them) There is a suck thing as nano fish like goby's, firefish and such that would be fine in a tank like that. There is a lot of options a person has with a small tank. And all aquariums are conversation pieces regardless of size.

erick, I have seen nano's going for a lot more than that tank, I've seen some in the 500-$600 range. I've also seen some fake coral selling for over $200 a piece

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would not recommend putting seahorses in that tank. With a tank volume of a mere 5 gallons it is not even close to being large enough for seahorses.

It would make a really nice tank for a couple small gobies though.

Matt, I meant to say dwarfs.... or even a small pipefish

Don't forget about Steve's nano he's been keeping for years with the seahorse in it.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mott768 said:
Matt, I meant to say dwarfs.... or even a small pipefish

Don't forget about Steve's nano he's been keeping for years with the seahorse in it.

That seahorse has been in many different tanks over the years. He just moves it to the nano from time to time. Heck, a person can live in a closet but they aren't going to be happy or live to their full potential.

I'm not even sure that set up would work for dwarfs. I'd have to see one up and running in person to make that call. One of the biggest problems with those all in one type tanks is temperature. They tend to run on the hotter side for seahorses with them being totally enclosed like that.

If you want to see one in person my neighbor has one(Coral Splash) next time your up this way I'll ask him if I can bring you over to see it. He has 2 dwarf's and I think a Dracula goby in it, he's had it for just about a year now, not sure where he keeps the temp I'll have to ask him.

mott768 said:
Dave, that's pretty closed minded of you. Not everyone in the hobby wants large aquariums or have the room for one, or want to keep live coral. Just because you don't like small tanks doesn't mean it's a waste for someone else. Too many times I've seen people shy away from the hobby cause of comments like that. A lot of people got the bug starting with a small tank (I'm one of them) There is a suck thing as nano fish like goby's, firefish and such that would be fine in a tank like that. There is a lot of options a person has with a small tank. And all aquariums are conversation pieces regardless of size.

erick, I have seen nano's going for a lot more than that tank, I've seen some in the 500-$600 range. I've also seen some fake coral selling for over $200 a piece

I've been away a few days, and am just now able to respond.

Yes, I agree that not every one can afford, or wants a large tank.

However, I do not consider my posts to be "close minded" at all. I am simply telling people that there are serious limitations to a 5 gal tank, especially when used for SW. For example, go out and try to find a tank, other than a goldfish bowel, even for FW. It can be done, but 5 gal is about the smallest you can get.

You say "Too many times I've seen people shy away from the hobby cause of comments like that". Quite frankly, I'd much rather see them scared off, rather than go out and purchase such a system, with no idea about what they are doing, and they proceed to kill off many dollars of livestock. This to me is going to cause people to "shy away" from the hobby. Remember, that 5 gal tank, even as a FO system will only support one, or two of those "nano fish" you mention.

This is a system that is clearly marketed to be sold to people with no experience in the hobby. Sure, some members here might want one, and could take such a system and make a real gem out of it. However they generally have experience, and know where to turn to for help. IMO, the vast majority of people getting such a system would be clueless.

This is why I'm not much of a fan of these type of systems being sold.