• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

tale of a tech tank, nismos tech 45

i started my most recent adventure into reef keeping with a 10g nano, the upgrade bug wit me hard and with in 4 months i upgraded to a 20 long, 9 months later my DIY drilled 20 long tank developed a crack and led to the purchase of an oceanis tech 45. here is the story of my tech 45.
(this section will be filled in once i get a chance to upload some older pictures)

this was back in october a few weeks after upgrading from a 20 long to the tech 45

10/06

post-3169-1192587903_thumb.jpg

a month later a few more corals and some additional marco rock

11/17

post-3169-1196829033_thumb.jpg

not too lnog after this last shot things took a turn for the worse, i pulled a noobie move and did not cure the marco rock before adding it thinking it was dry base rock everythin was dead already.. well that was stupid and it began to cure in the tank. then i got hit with a nasty case of dino's well as a result of these two events i lost about half my coral, some stuff was saved by fragging.

i have upgraded the lighting from a 150w 10k halide to a 250w 14k halide, re worked the sump to have a lerger fuge and a larger skimmer, plus using ro/di instead of LFS RO water ..

5/2

post-3169-1209780612_thumb.jpg

Nice set up. Do you deal with any over heating issues using a 250w mh over it? Have you noticed a difference in the heat since switching?

MikeNapoli said:
Nice set up. Do you deal with any over heating issues using a 250w mh over it? Have you noticed a difference in the heat since switching?

yes i did get an increase in tank temp even more since the local weather has gotten into the 70's, so far i have been able to keep the tank temps around 82 but have had a few days that it has gotten around 84 until i made a few adjustments.. i have a fan set up on the timer with the halide so its been in the 79 - 82 degree range. i am a bit concerned about what will happen in the coming months when the day time temps get higher, im sure a fan alone will cut it, i might start cycling my lighting to adjust and run my lights at night since i dont have a chiller and would rather not run one if at all possible. the other option would be to switch back to the 150w and just have less growth and slightly less attractive color in the summer months to reduce and heat and as a side effect reduce running costs.

I think that's a great idea, to run the lower wattage light in the summer. Not alot of people have that option so if you do then that's definitely the way to go. I almost wish I had another light fixture now.