• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tangs

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i seem to be on a tang kick lately. I currently have four- yellow eyed Kole, yellow, hippo, and a tomini. I am thinking of adding two more. First would be a blonde naso or powder brown then an Achilles as the final next year. I have a 180. Currently the four are playing nice. What does everyone think? Am I asking for trouble or will it be okay?

IMO
Way overboard. Eventually that Kole and Tomini are not going to play so nice and both will probably be aggressive to any new tang additions. Of the 3 potential new fish, 2 are the same species(achilles and powder) one is a potential agresser towards other tangs(blonde) and one is definite known aggressor(achilles). My guess you would be asking for trouble.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thank jgraz, very helpful. I would love an angelfish but they are nippers? Make suggestions people.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thank jgraz, very helpful. I would love an angelfish but they are nippers? Make suggestions people.

I have 3 tangs(yellow,purple,hippo) & 2 angels (regal&flame) in my 120G as long as you keep them fed and happy you don't have to worry about nipping

really want a regal myself. But I have a bad azz powder blue that is currently on a mission to beat a hippo into submission. Plus the fish is darn smart too and has thwarted all attempts to trap. Afraid he might turn his sights on the regal if I got one

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John, did you try putting a mirror up against the tank to fool the Powder Blue into thinking there were now two in the tank. I tried unsuccessfully to distract a Yellow this way, but the only thing it did was attract my Long Nose Butterfly, who spent hours displaying his spiked dorsal fin, ready for battle. It was quite amusing.

IMG_0881_zpssowc9r4t.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 tangs in my 300 (besides other fish) A yellow, regal blue, and a sailfin. They are very healthy (had to use supplements to fend off lateral line disease in the blue.) I have thought about adding one or two more but keep in mind they swim miles and miles each day and need proper space. And more would cause more stress so its just the three for me.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ssi think I will stick with the four. Was at Joe's aka horseplay and he has a beautiful angel. Now I'm thinking, maybe wait until next year and add. Acclimating a mccosker flasher as I type this.