• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Sponge, thank you. It's 125 gallons. There are about 25 fish in there but just before I took the pictures, I cleaned the glass so they headed for the back as they probably thought I was hungry for sushi.
The ich magnet hasn't seemed to attract any parasites yet, but he is still searching for them. I keep adding stuff from the sea, LFSs, and homeless shelters but no ich yet. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
So this morning I went for my walk, Bike ride. Down the 167 steps to the beach and I noticed that it was dead low tide.

I have never been on this beach, behind my house before at dead low tide and I noticed that there were seaweed covered rocks exposed. Seaweed covered rocks are to me like High Heels to a Supermodel so I walked (not very fast) the 100 yards or so to the place and started lifting rocks.

I was in my glory that there were amphipods all over the place like weirdoes at a Lady GaGa concert.

( I know because our Daughter got us tickets to one of those. Girls "walking" their boyfriends on dog collars didn't do it for me)

The beach is very clean, not even a nose hair to be found so I didn't have anything to put amphipods in but I needed to get some as the tide changes an hour each day and the tide wouldn't be this low at this time in the morning for a very long time and I was very disappointed that I couldn't get any.

I started to walk back to the stairs when just then, out of nowhere, I see a plastic bottle.

I rush over and pick it up. I was thirsty and it was half filled with a dark liquid. I removed the cap and brought it up to my lips and........No, I didn't drink it. I was born at night but not last night. I smelled it and it was Coke.

I poured it out and rinsed it out. Now I started to collect amphipods, but the mouth of the bottle was small so I had to collect them one at a time. I don't know if you have even gone amphipod collecting but as soon as you lift a rock, the amphipods run like they are just missing the five PM train out of Manhattan on Fourth of July Weekend.

So you can only get one as the rest run away and jump off the rock. Collecting this way doesn't yield too many pods.

I normally swish the rocks in a bucket of water which i didn't have so I only got maybe 25 amphipods.

I didn't want my fish to eat them because these were very big so they were breeders. I put some under my UG filter and the rest I added behind the rocks in the dark.

I may go tomorrow an hour later as it will be low tide again but hotter so going up all those stairs will be tough.

Paul B

NJRC Member
They really don't want you to repair these Chinese LED fixtures. My blue lights went out so I took the thing apart to fix it. I figured it was the driver, but it was the LEDs themselves. 5 of them were sort of melted. I had a couple of blue LEDs and I shorted out one to get the thing running. You can see the one I shorted out. Now it's "almost" as good as new with just a few Blues that don't light.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am at a loss for words which is a first for me so I will just update my tank. OK, thee is nothing to update, it is the same as it always is.

I can try to name the fish but I am sure I will miss some.

2 Gecko Gobies

Copperband

Mandarin

Scooter "Bleeny"

Queen Anthius

Possum Wrasse

Janss Pipefish

Red Perchlet.

Yellow Wrasse.

2 Striped Cardinals

Hippo Tang (with no spots)

2 Fire Clowns

2 Watchman gobies

Some kind of red fish

Rainsford Gobi

Some kind of brown fish. Maybe a bleeny.

That makes 20, I am not sure if I missed any.

I also have this very cool decorator crab. I don't remember how long he has been in there because I rarely see him, even if I am looking right at him, but he is very cool.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am back from my morning exercise. I took my bike to the stairs that lead to the beach. On the way there I saw so many deer and they were so close to the road that I could count the ticks on them.

There was only one Buck that I could see. I think his last name was Rogers.

The stairs down to the beach has a lot of spider webs crossing the hand rails so you have to constantly brush them off. They are probably covered in ticks but real Men don't worry about such things. Only Sissy, Snowflakes and Girly men.

The sun was just coming up and there were a few tiny tide pools that will evaporate soon leaving all the tiny fish fry and snails to croak. I would imagine if I took some home and dipped them in tree stump remover I could revive them, then quarantine them for 3 months where they would grow into 10 lb stripped bass and I could have them for dinner. That sounds like a great business.

Today we are getting company from the old neighborhood so we will take them to the pool, then on the boat for dinner. She works at a pool and is bringing me a 12 gallon bucket that they buy chlorine in. I already have two of them so now I can bring back 36 gallons of water from the sea without trying to fit 6 five gallon jugs in my Jeep. upload_2019-8-4_6-50-59.gif

Paul B

NJRC Member
We are having company this weekend so we went to Costco to get hamburgers.
We are taking them on the boat then back to the pool to Bar be cue.
So my wife says we can just "jump" into Costco for the hamburgers.
We get to Costco and I run to the cell phone booth because I need a new battery on my 8 year old "I" Phone 4. I know the guy and I don't want a new "upgraded" phone because I know it won't work, I won't be able to figure out how to use it, I have to kill half an hour for him to program it, and I don't want to pay another $49.00 a month being my old phone works fine and is paid for. Besides I don't need my phone to make me breakfast, put gas in my car, feed my fish and get my slippers. Just make phone calls and don't annoy me.
The guy I need is on vacation so I look for my wife. She is buying sweatshirts for the Grand Kids, Water Piks, beach chairs, pop corn, olives, flashlight batteries, flounders, Halloween costumes,
celophane, vacuum cleaner bags etc. Everything but hamburgers.
I tell her, "I thought we were going to "jump" in here for hamburgers. Then of course she gets mad and says now I am shopping for things we "need". Why don't you go to Home Depot?
How do women do that? I hate to shop and if I need hamburgers I park the closest I can get to the door, run in and ask the closest person where the hamburgers are.
(I don't need a shopping cart as they take too long)
She points to the back corner of the store and If I could get there diagonally by climbing over the counters, I would. I quickly look down the aisles and avoid the ones where there are people. Then I get down the least crowded aisle to the hamburgers, find the closest package and grab it. I put it under my arm and in one quick motion, spin around and go as fast as I could to the least crowded check out counter.
If there are more than 2 people on line, I run back to the hamburger section, throw them back into the case and go back to my car as I have PTSD and I don't do lines. On my way home
I change the menu and go to a deli and we have sandwiches.
This all takes place in under 8 minutes.
Thats the way a Man shops.

Paul B

NJRC Member
She is so cute I can't stand it. Yesterday she told our Daughter she was bored and has nothing to do. My Daughter said to Play with your Brother. She said, I hate him. So she said to play with her dolls. She said, I hate them, they don't do anything. My Daughter said to read your tablet. She said there is nothing on it and I want a friend over.

My Daughter said, No, I am busy today so occupy yourself.
"Oh Fine then, I will just look out the window!".

Paul B

NJRC Member
That Hippo Tang I threw in my tank two or three months ago looks great. No spots, no lumbago, no irritable bowel, no cataracts, no worms, no flukes, no flounders no nothing. That health comes from not quarantining.

I also don't feed him lettuce, spinach or "The impossible burger". He eats worms, clams and LRS food like everyone else and he gets over it. I think he meditates. :rolleyes:

If I quarantined him he would now be on the disease forum and people would be telling me to dip him in stump remover while fresh water dipping him and adding Prizapro to French Onion soup to feed him while giving him soapy water enema's. :oops:

I through a yellow tang right in my tank, about the same time you got that. Never seen any of those symptoms either. I don’t have second tank, so I’ve been taking a calculated risk. No problems yet.54DB6244-4265-4ECD-ACA0-0C1DB3537FD1.jpeg