• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
I got this Murphy bed yesterday and the manufacturer told me the biggest part, the one you see when you lift the bed back to the wall weighed about 100 lbs. I said, Oh 100 lbs is no problem. I can get that up the stairs with one other person.

I unpacked the 4 large boxes, all of which were very heavy but the one piece that is supposed to be about 100 lbs was a little off. The screws that hold it together weighed about 100 lbs. It was one massive piece of furniture that was closer to 350 lbs and 7' X 8'.

I called the manufacturer to see if I could take that one piece apart and I could. They didn't recommend it and if I wanted to sleep in the grass in front of my house it would be no problem. Hundreds of screws and about 5 hours later I got the thing down to about 7 pieces each one was about 100 lbs which was manageable. 5 hours later I had it upstairs and all put together.

The thing was made in Utah (I don't do China or India) and it is solid wood. No particle or flake board. It took 6 weeks to build and it is kind of nice looking.

I am building a gym in a spare bedroom for my wife. The carpet and exercise machines are on order.

My wife is cleaning it now so I can't get a picture of it up. I will take that later if I don't fall asleep on it.
thumbnail.jpg

Bed.jpg

I got this Murphy bed yesterday and the manufacturer told me the biggest part, the one you see when you lift the bed back to the wall weighed about 100 lbs. I said, Oh 100 lbs is no problem. I can get that up the stairs with one other person.

I unpacked the 4 large boxes, all of which were very heavy but the one piece that is supposed to be about 100 lbs was a little off. The screws that hold it together weighed about 100 lbs. It was one massive piece of furniture that was closer to 350 lbs and 7' X 8'.

I called the manufacturer to see if I could take that one piece apart and I could. They didn't recommend it and if I wanted to sleep in the grass in front of my house it would be no problem. Hundreds of screws and about 5 hours later I got the thing down to about 7 pieces each one was about 100 lbs which was manageable. 5 hours later I had it upstairs and all put together.

The thing was made in Utah (I don't do China or India) and it is solid wood. No particle or flake board. It took 6 weeks to build and it is kind of nice looking.

I am building a gym in a spare bedroom for my wife. The carpet and exercise machines are on order.

My wife is cleaning it now so I can't get a picture of it up. I will take that later if I don't fall asleep on it.
View attachment 31594

View attachment 31595
Brother you need to learn to ask for help every now and then, you’re no spring chicken any more and you don’t have arms like mine (19-20 inch biceps) so ask a neighbor, maybe be a perfect excuse to get Cristy Brinkley in you bedroom, lol but seriously I’m glad you didn’t hurt yourself and you got the job done,, be well my friend

Paul B

NJRC Member
Paulie, I did ask a neighbor to help me stand the thing up when it was completed. Unfortunately he is a Geezer like me so we did have some problems. 20 years ago i could have done it no problem but those years creep up on you.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday I picked up another one of these little Hawkfish. Now I have two. I am not sure if they will kill each other, dance or form another political party. I hope they mate because I like to have a pair of all of my fish. I got it at a IFS. Something like an LFS but it is more of an Ich local fish store

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hawkfish are really mellow. I had a few different variety's . they ere not great swimmers .Always takin a break....

Yesterday I picked up another one of these little Hawkfish. Now I have two. I am not sure if they will kill each other, dance or form another political party. I hope they mate because I like to have a pair of all of my fish. I got it at a IFS. Something like an LFS but it is more of an Ich local fish store
Even after 47+ years your still adding fish to your tank,, keep on reefing Paul

Paul B

NJRC Member
Now I have way to many fish, but I like pairs of everything because I like them to spawn or at least be friends. In the last month or two I got another Hawkfish, another, possum wrasse, two ruby red dragonettes, another 6 line wrasse, some black looking wrasse thing and probably 2 or 3 that I forgot about.
The last few fish I got since I moved here was a hippo tang, a copperband butterfly, and two sunburst anthius. I also got 8 emerald crabs just because they are cool.

I have not lost much since I moved here and I had quite a few fish before I moved. I did lost two or three wrasses from jumping as they always jump. One sunburst anthius was bullied and just stopped eating and croaked.

No ich, velvet, dropsy or any other silly disease that many tanks seem to be plagued with. :giggle:

Paul B

NJRC Member
One of my 3 reef lights failed. This is the second time in two years I had to replace one of these things. I really wish some of them could be made in America as they don't last very long even though LED lights are supposed to last for like 200 years or so. I am lucky to get a year out of them and I don't even run them full brilliance.

I took it apart and shorted out some LEDs to at least get most of them to light temporally but it is time consuming and a pain to do.
Out of my last two fixtures that failed, I used parts from both of them to at least get some light.

I ordered another one and should get it next week.
I would rather pay double and get something that will last. But no one makes a good one. :(

thumbnail.jpg