• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Drilling

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I just got 2 $6.00 1 3/4 inch diamond hole saw bits from Hong Kong the other day. I also purchased a drill guide that is similar to the one the guy uses in the tank drilling video that has been posted around on RC. My total purchase was less than 50.00. In a total of about 10 minutes, I drilled two perfect holes in my fuge!

I will be drilling another 2 holes in my sump in the near future. A LFS was going to charge me $50.00 for the first hole and $25.00 for each additional! Not a bad return on my investment, I must say!

If anyone needs to drill any tanks in the near future, I would be willing to loan out the gear or would let you know where I got my stuff so you could become your own "tank drilling shop".

Herb

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I am in central Jersey near Princeton. I live in Kendall Park, which is a part of South Brunswick Township.

HerbieK said:
... A LFS was going to charge me $50.00 for the first hole and $25.00 for each additional! Not a bad return on my investment, I must say!

While I am usually ready to slam LFSs for everything they do wrong, in this case the price of $50 for the first hole and $25 for each additional hole is reasonable.

Remember, they are taking a large risk. If they break the glass during the drilling, the customer is going to expect them to repair or replace the tank.

If you break your own tank, you are just out of luck, and you have to repair or replace it with your own money. In other words, you assume the risk of drilling the tank.

That's why the price seems so high.

HerbieK said:
I just got 2 $6.00 1 3/4 inch diamond hole saw bits from Hong Kong the other day. I also purchased a drill guide that is similar to the one the guy uses in the tank drilling video that has been posted around on RC. My total purchase was less than 50.00. In a total of about 10 minutes, I drilled two perfect holes in my fuge!

I will be drilling another 2 holes in my sump in the near future. A LFS was going to charge me $50.00 for the first hole and $25.00 for each additional! Not a bad return on my investment, I must say!

If anyone needs to drill any tanks in the near future, I would be willing to loan out the gear or would let you know where I got my stuff so you could become your own "tank drilling shop".

Herb

Herb, I will have to take you up on that offer soon.....I am planning on drilling my tank, just need to decide what pump to use for the closed loop. I will actually rent the equipment from you. One more thing.... Doesn't the bit go dull after two uses?

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I got a second bit just in case. I will need to drill two more holes, and if this is true, I will be out of bits. I have been drilling small tanks - 20 gallon high and 40 gallon breeder. The glass is pretty thin, so maybe I can get better life out of the bits.

Herb

DaveK said:
HerbieK said:
... A LFS was going to charge me $50.00 for the first hole and $25.00 for each additional! Not a bad return on my investment, I must say!

While I am usually ready to slam LFSs for everything they do wrong, in this case the price of $50 for the first hole and $25 for each additional hole is reasonable.

Remember, they are taking a large risk. If they break the glass during the drilling, the customer is going to expect them to repair or replace the tank.

If you break your own tank, you are just out of luck, and you have to repair or replace it with your own money. In other words, you assume the risk of drilling the tank.

That's why the price seems so high.

I have yet to see a LFS drill a hole without first telling you they are NOT responsible for anything that happens, in other words if it breaks, don't blame us!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is what I would use.

46441-02-200.jpg

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use it for drilling acrylic drip plates. It's the same tool you see the guys using in the diy forums for drilling glass.