• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank left outside, in the rain.

So, I am moving my landlord thought it’s be nice to put my tank outside in the rain the night before my last walk through. Needless to say most of my tank is in severe stress and many of my corals have died. Im so sad..

Edit: she also dumped out most of the water, and my crabs. :(

Thats horrible. If it was the night before your last walkthrough, I dont understand how someone could do that. She basically damaged your property and worst yet it was live animals.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I don't putting your tank out in the rain would be your biggest concern- no power/ circulation- I think that had more to do with the casualties

Did she just do this out of no where ?

I feel like there has to be more to this story. Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I look both ways when crossing one way streets.

Help me out here please,
Were you allowed to have the tank in the rental?
Did she know about it being there previously?
Why was she in unit if you still had a night left before the final walk thru ?
Did she put anything else outside?
What was her reasoning when you asked her about why she did this?
You did ask her why she did this right ?

Just so many questions . Sorry to hear about the loss .

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I haven't rented in decades, but one would think that either the renter or the landlord has to remove everything before the last walkthrough- either way, unless the tank was 10gallons- water has to be removed- once the tank is moved, filtration/ water movement has to be restored- that is not the landlord's responsibility, unless understood by both - I think this is just either a misunderstanding or a rookie mistake- sorry for your loss-just start over- have had to do that

Did she just do this out of no where ?

I feel like there has to be more to this story. Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I look both ways when crossing one way streets.

Help me out here please,
Were you allowed to have the tank in the rental?
Did she know about it being there previously?
Why was she in unit if you still had a night left before the final walk thru ?
Did she put anything else outside?
What was her reasoning when you asked her about why she did this?
You did ask her why she did this right ?

Just so many questions . Sorry to hear about the loss .
I had mentioned to her that was the last thing I wanted to get before the walk through.
she gave me two weeks to move out due to “things not working out.” It’s all under the table. I didn’t even ask I was just so shocked because she said it was fine. I even patched the hole in the wall from the TVs mount. And then after the walk through she told me she was so disappointed I had left it the way it was. That she never had a tenant like this. Even though my fiancé climbed through a window to help another tenant get into her apartment because she had forgotten her keys and our landlord didnt want to come out. I truly have tried my best to be so kind even with her really honestly unreasonable requests.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
You still have the tank, rock, filtration, think of it as a major power outage- it happens- you're still ahead of the game- not starting from scratch- some of your corals may survive- wait and see

Idk man, it isn’t looking too great. The zoas have this weird clear white film all over them. My Xenia is totally gone; the mushroom is done. Idk.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Time will tell- at least you got it back up and running- hard to kill zoas and xenia- mushrooms are most likely gone- but hope is eternal- @MadReefer :cool:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Gotta go with RR here.
For a landlord too lazy to come out of her apartment to supply a key to a tenant and requiring your boyfriend to break into the building seems odd.
To have that same extremely lazy landlord move even a tiny tank outside, say 10g, with rock, and substrate, and water (even 3/4 empty - sorry for the surface crabs that were dumped), would still be a major hassle, extremely heavy, awkward, rock slidey, and dangly wirey. Very odd.
I'm in odd world tonight. I wasn't till I read this. Now I am. And things are oddish.

D

Deleted member 27248

Welcome to the reefclub. I think this is a false flag post, and you are just looking to get some free xenia!

Anyway, no judgement, rant away. Sorry for your coral and fish loss. Time to rebuild!

Gotta go with RR here.
For a landlord too lazy to come out of her apartment to supply a key to a tenant and requiring your boyfriend to break into the building seems odd.
To have that same extremely lazy landlord move even a tiny tank outside, say 10g, with rock, and substrate, and water (even 3/4 empty - sorry for the surface crabs that were dumped), would still be a major hassle, extremely heavy, awkward, rock slidey, and dangly wirey. Very odd.
I'm in odd world tonight. I wasn't till I read this. Now I am. And things are oddish.
Welcome to the reefclub. I think this is a false flag post, and you are just looking to get some free xenia!

Anyway, no judgement, rant away. Sorry for your coral and fish loss. Time to rebuild!
Totally just needed to vent, and any donations to my plight will be accepted lol! And totally, not all is lost.

D

Deleted member 27248

Ryan's corals are notorious for being the non-rain surviving type.
He does hand paint the zoas though, which look nice.
Considering most of the corals I sell are painted freshwater plants, they should fair well!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Time will tell- at least you got it back up and running- hard to kill zoas and xenia- mushrooms are most likely gone- but hope is eternal- @MadReefer :cool:
I fought dinos for a long time and most stuff survived. The flame angel is probably eating the zoas. I don't have xenia.