• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank maintenance during vacation

In the past I've used my neighbor take care of my tank when I was on vacation. This year I finally got my tank in tip top shape not only do I feed the fish I also feed my coral. My fish have been accustomed to eating out of the turkey baster I don't think my neighbors are really going to deal with the maintenance of my tank. I have most of my tank automated , all that really needs to be done is a daily feeding and a quick check to make sure all systems are a go. Does anyone use a maintenance company for feeding the fish and taking care the tank while they are on vacation.
Would the group like to start a program where we help each other when we're on vacation I know I would feel more comfortable with someone that knows how to take care of coral and saltwater fish and I would be willing to go to someone's house when they are on vacation if they lived close to me.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One thing I would like to say is it would be better to underfeed than to over feed if you do chose your neighbor again. Unless you are going away for an extended period of time or have fish that require feeding daily(not accustomed to) the tank will survive in my opinion.

There are a couple of people who have helped others out here and there are 3 places that do maintenance in my mind depending on your location. You should let us know where you are so we can find a solution for you.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
+1 what Taz said.
Also, how long of a vacation are we talking about? The automatic feeders work really well.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That is actually how I found the club. I was looking for someone local with saltwater experience while I was on my honeymoon for 2 weeks. My father in-law fed them, but I wanted to have a "Plan B" if something was to happen, I could call for reinforcements.

08844 hillsborough

My fish are custom to eating everyday I feed them cube of shrimp and some pellets the pellets it easy but the shrimp are a pain because you have to take it out of the freezer and put in some tank water after it melts I use a turkey baster to feed the coral in the fish. I guess I can get automatic feeder and by some freeze-dried food that will probably work. i will be going for a week
One thing I would like to say is it would be better to underfeed than to over feed if you do chose your neighbor again. Unless you are going away for an extended period of time or have fish that require feeding daily(not accustomed to) the tank will survive in my opinion.

There are a couple of people who have helped others out here and there are 3 places that do maintenance in my mind depending on your location. You should let us know where you are so we can find a solution for you.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Honestly, if you put an auto feeder with pellets that should be plenty for the fish for a week.
In the wild most of the fish do not eat everyday. They will not starve if not fed shrimp for a week.

Sunny

there are couple of us live near your place. I am in somerville very close to downtown somerville.
if you go on a vacation for 2 weeks, your tank will be fine. you can setup an auto feeder now and let your fishes get use to the pellet. setup the timer to match to time you feed them with frozen food.

if you still need help, some of us including me can stop by your house 1 or 2 times during your 2 weeks of vacation.
with 1 week of vacation, i would not even bother to setup anything. however with 2 weeks of vacation or longer, i would setup an auto feeder and feed small portion everyday. rather less feed then over feeding.

I used to let my father in law to feed my tank but after that first experience, I just let my tank run on it own for 1 week during vacation. I only asking him to stop by every 2 days to check on my water.

Listen to TAZ. He has 5 kids that over feed his tank all the time.

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm pretty close as well. Depending when it is I wouldn't mind keeping watch for a day or 2.

If you'd rather have a maintenance company do it I can give you the name of the place I used to work. The guy that does the salt accounts there has been doing it for about 25 years now and is very good. PM me f you want the info for them.

Babysitting

My vacation is only a week so I'm thinking I'll set up an auto feeder and have my neighbor make sure everything is working. If something goes wrong is their way I can contact one of you guys in emergency? I'm leaving at the end of June so I sent my air-conditioning to 78° that should keep the downstairs around 76°. I'm hoping that temperature should keep the tank close to 78-79. I will do a 10% water change the day before I leave and top off my auto filler.
I'm pretty close as well. Depending when it is I wouldn't mind keeping watch for a day or 2.

If you'd rather have a maintenance company do it I can give you the name of the place I used to work. The guy that does the salt accounts there has been doing it for about 25 years now and is very good. PM me f you want the info for them.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Vacations are the scourge of the reef keeper. I have had my parents look after the tank once, and local reefers twice (Thanks Greg and Greg). I know one reefer on here set up a webcam so he could watch his tank while he was away.

malulu

NJRC Member
for an unexpected hot day(s), make sure to have your neighbor stop by few times to make sure it is cool.

for an unexpected hot day(s), make sure to have your neighbor stop by few times to make sure it is cool.
+1 and a proper attire is a must for hot weather. you don't want your neighbor get heat stroke in your house. wink wink nah mean?