• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank melt down - crushed.

I learned a painful lesson this week. I moved from Medford to Hammonton & my tank crashed and melted in the heat. I overextended myself with the tank move & against my better judgment, moved it and the livestock with my brother-in-law’s help. The rock, corals and fish went into tubs and were taken to the new house while we went back for the tank & stand. Everything after that point went south. Plumbing pieces got left behind, my saltwater pre-mixing pump & heater had gotten unplugged… Anything that could have went wrong did.

The worst of it was when I realized that instead of the sunroom, he had unloaded the livestock tubs into our enclosed pool room! The temps in there soared in the insane heat last week. With the sliding doors & skylights closed, I’d say it was easily 120-130 degrees in there. When I finally had the tank ready to set up & he told me where he had put everything, I went into panic mode! When I opened the door to the pool room the smell hit me. I knew it was all gone. Everything was pretty much cooked. All the fish, my mated pair of blood shrimp, snails, worms, all corals… everything was dead. The only thing I have left is my LTA. His foot was attached to the bottom glass of the tank when we took the livestock out so he was moved in the tank. Lucky for him.

This is my first real loss. My tanks have always survived storms, power outages, moves. & I’ve never lost livestock like this. My daughter was so sad that her “Dory” was killed. We have had her since she was about 2” long. My wife actually had tears in her eyes when I told her I had lost the fish. She isn’t a fish person, but had grown to love my tank & the fish. I am trying to be positive about it all & plan to rebuild. Hopefully better than ever, but for now… I’m devastated.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
O man that's terrible, I don't have a lot but ill try to get you some frags when your up and running (no charge) just let me know.

Man that sucks. Let me know when your tank is running. im still growing I got some chalice and pulsing Xenia and we can see what frags I got then. Do worry its on me. Hope all goes well on rebuilding.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That really sucks man.. Good luck with the rebuild

Sorry to hear about the loss. It really stinks to lose all of your hard work in such a short time.

To look on the bright side now you can take the time to fix things on your system that you couldn't when it was up and running with livestock.

Thanks guys, I may very well take you up on the frag offers down the road.

Trying to stay positive. I'm running the rock in a ton of carbon and trying to clean up as much as I can. The smell is pretty foul. I had a couple pretty big mushroom rocks. I thought mushies smelled bad... That smell has nothing on dead mushies! I should be able to come up with a pretty good scape for the rock without existing corals to work around. That's about the only bright spot I can see so far. Hopefully there are better days ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Had a similar issue with my chiller malfunctioning, although I just lost all my SPS. It is still devastating and honestly all I can think of was selling everything off and quitting. I love this hobby too much to just quit like that though, we just have to move on and be better prepared next time. gl with the rebuild.