• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Planning

Wife said i can start the planning process for my new tank which will be in my basement.

I want to do something similar to the tank in the attached image. but instead of tank being used as somewhat of a divider it will be parallel length wise to wall.

Tank measurements are 60x24x20 with dual corner over flows. Glass Euro-Braced with Starfire on main viewing part.

Stand will be made out of square steel tube with wood skinning.

Filtration will use Chaeto, and Mangrove "no skimmer". Filtration will be kept as simple as possible

Lighting... that's where i am lost, I had thought LED T5 Hybrid. What do you guys suggest?

ATO Reservoir will be from 10 - 20 Gallons.

Not sure which heaters, wave-makers, or what controller system to buy, but that stuff can wait.

Quarantine tank will be my current 28G JBJ Nano Cube.

I don't plan on keeping a whole lot of softies, but do plan on keeping mostly SPS and LPS.

what do you all recommend for RODI systems? for the water reservoir, i was thinking about 50G.

Just starting looking for a tank builder, already found a welding shop that will build the stand.

Once everything is up and running i will start looking into a frag tank.

Im looking forward to your input, and will start the build thread once i place the order for the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 38

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LED's will work but can be expensive, a t5 6 or 8 bulb would work, hybrid also, but hybrids are expensive as well. I run a t5 8 bulb, but with lps in the sand 6 bulb should be more than enough, i can grow sps on my sand bed with the 8 bulb. Any reason why you don't want to run a skimmer? It may be doable but will be harder with sps and the nutrient level that can build up. It also helps to oxygenate the water to help keep ph up. As for RO systems, do you have well or public water? Public may require additional filters for the things they add to the water like chlorine and such.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Good luck with this, its a beautiful tank to replicate.

LED's will work but can be expensive, a t5 6 or 8 bulb would work, hybrid also, but hybrids are expensive as well. I run a t5 8 bulb, but with lps in the sand 6 bulb should be more than enough, i can grow sps on my sand bed with the 8 bulb. Any reason why you don't want to run a skimmer? It may be doable but will be harder with sps and the nutrient level that can build up. It also helps to oxygenate the water to help keep ph up. As for RO systems, do you have well or public water? Public may require additional filters for the things they add to the water like chlorine and such.

Yes, it will be on a well system with soft-water, here are a few pics i took of it on my walk through last week. i planned on setting up the RODI, along with the reservoir right next it. If i went with all T5 i figured it would be an 8 bulb setup. The reason i had not planned on going with a skimmer was based on my last tank. Never had a skimmer on it, but did have a large refugium with lots of rubble, mangroves and chaeto. I am not saying i would not consider one (with the right idea i would include it) , just had not planned on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 17

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Should be fine with a basic system, you will run through di resin fairly quickly though as the co2 content is usually high, i have 0 tds out of a 3 stage system and i put a di on just as a precaution, but i probably only get 200 gallons before it's used up, might be more with the brs stuff i haven't tried yet (i have an ro buddie with the DI that goes with it, i'm sure they used cheap resin). I suppose it's not needed, but its there.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Congrats on the green light for the new build! For rodi I would look into the spectra pure units. You can get a 90gpd refurb system from them for a great price. I'm partial to t5 myself. If you're looking for a hybrid setup take a look at the ati hybrid fixtures. They're expensive but very nice. Best of luck with the new build!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a similar setup 60x30x24 so I will try to answer some questions:

We have the spectrapure RODI and it is awesome, I would recommend one. We use 65g fish tanks as our reservoirs, they are pricier than a 50g drum but size constraints led us to the tanks. We have two, one for salt and one for fresh. The fresh one feeds a 20g tank that is our ATO tank. I like to have a break so if something goes wrong, I don't dump huge amounts of fresh water into the tank. Petco's dollar a gallon sale helps with this.

One our display we have the ati led/T5 hybrid and love the light. However, if I could do it over I would get the 4 foot fixture as the T5s are not dimmable on the 5 foot fixture. Also, these fixtures put out a TON of light, you really can't even run it at 100% or it will fry everything. Look at the ATI forum on R2R as they will sell refurbed lights for cheaper than retail. Or if you are set on a 5 foot fixture, drop me a line and we can work something out, LOL.

For filtration, I have a Reef Octopus skimmer which is a beast and I love it. I also have a natureef reactor which uses live bacteria to keep phosphates and nitratres low which is awesome. I also have a big fuge which helps as well to keep my nutrients low. While I think a fuge is a nice piece to filtration, I would not want it to be alone especially if you are planning a SPS/LPS tank. Mangroves are nice and all but they really grow too slow to replace a skimmer. If you were going for a softy tank, maybe but I think if you want a SPS/LPS tank you might want to look into a skimmer. The reef octopus external skimmers are fantastic if you have the room for one.

Heaters, we prefer smaller and redundant. We use 3 300 watt heaters instead of one thousand watt (roughly 400 total gallons). The titanium ones with a controller are also very popular, if you are going to just go with one, a controller is crucial because if they fail they can nuke your tank.

Powerheads, I am partial to both the Gyre and the vortechs. I think they both offer things the other does not and when they are combined you get some wicked flow. One on each end of your tank will probably be enough (the mp40 or 60 and the bigger gyre).

How are you plumbing the tank? Have you thought about a manifold? Fish room behind the wall? Reactors?

I live in Point Pleasant if you want to see anything in person.

Congrats on the green light for the new build! For rodi I would look into the spectra pure units. You can get a 90gpd refurb system from them for a great price. I'm partial to t5 myself. If you're looking for a hybrid setup take a look at the ati hybrid fixtures. They're expensive but very nice. Best of luck with the new build!

I changed my decision on Hybrid, and going with and ATI 48 Inch 8x54W Fixture, and $585.99 on Marine Depot the price is not too bad.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Good decision as well. We have the dimmable sunpower on our frag tank.

We have a similar setup 60x30x24 so I will try to answer some questions:

We have the spectrapure RODI and it is awesome, I would recommend one. We use 65g fish tanks as our reservoirs, they are pricier than a 50g drum but size constraints led us to the tanks. We have two, one for salt and one for fresh. The fresh one feeds a 20g tank that is our ATO tank. I like to have a break so if something goes wrong, I don't dump huge amounts of fresh water into the tank. Petco's dollar a gallon sale helps with this.

One our display we have the ati led/T5 hybrid and love the light. However, if I could do it over I would get the 4 foot fixture as the T5s are not dimmable on the 5 foot fixture. Also, these fixtures put out a TON of light, you really can't even run it at 100% or it will fry everything. Look at the ATI forum on R2R as they will sell refurbed lights for cheaper than retail. Or if you are set on a 5 foot fixture, drop me a line and we can work something out, LOL.

For filtration, I have a Reef Octopus skimmer which is a beast and I love it. I also have a natureef reactor which uses live bacteria to keep phosphates and nitratres low which is awesome. I also have a big fuge which helps as well to keep my nutrients low. While I think a fuge is a nice piece to filtration, I would not want it to be alone especially if you are planning a SPS/LPS tank. Mangroves are nice and all but they really grow too slow to replace a skimmer. If you were going for a softy tank, maybe but I think if you want a SPS/LPS tank you might want to look into a skimmer. The reef octopus external skimmers are fantastic if you have the room for one.

Heaters, we prefer smaller and redundant. We use 3 300 watt heaters instead of one thousand watt (roughly 400 total gallons). The titanium ones with a controller are also very popular, if you are going to just go with one, a controller is crucial because if they fail they can nuke your tank.

Powerheads, I am partial to both the Gyre and the vortechs. I think they both offer things the other does not and when they are combined you get some wicked flow. One on each end of your tank will probably be enough (the mp40 or 60 and the bigger gyre).

How are you plumbing the tank? Have you thought about a manifold? Fish room behind the wall? Reactors?

I live in Point Pleasant if you want to see anything in person.

Since the RODI is going to be next to the well system, my wife said she would rather have a larger drum than anything else. my wife does not want me to take over the basement with stuff for the reef system, so anything other than the RODI and water reservoir on that side of my basement is strictly off limits (no fish room). She is letting my have a contractor come out and plumb a sink, but that is because she will be able to use it for her stuff too.

Not saying i would not consider a skimmer, but based on previous experience on my last tank i figured i would go skimmerless. Well, based on responses from you all and other friends on another reef forum, i will include a skimmer in my sump design.

i am still up in the air for wavemakers.

for heaters i would not gone with a single one, redundancy is paramount, and yes a controller is definitely in my plan.

i can basically get what i want for the tank filtration, but i will have to make it fit under the stand. the only think that will be separate from the tank is my quarantine tank.

Received a quote from Coast to Coast and i about sharted myself, at their price that would of taken almost half my budget for the build. i would rather purchase a petco tank and save some money.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Received a quote from Coast to Coast and i about sharted myself, at their price that would of taken almost half my budget for the build. at that price i would rather purchase a petco tank and save some money.

haha I know what you're talking about. But it seems you have a pretty big budget after all if it's only half of it. C2C does make some fantastic setups that make the price justified. Same reason people drive BMW while a Honda will get you from A to B as well.

Great choice on the lighting fixture. It's probably the best bargain out there. A Radion that covers 2'x2' area costs $700+ and not necessarily performing better.

A little input on the skimmer issue. When you keep SPS you can run a skimmerless system but you will not have enough nutrient export. Unless you only keep 2 fish in that tank. You will need a lot of fish to achieve the best color and growth. If you read up on this topic you will find out that high nutrient import/export is the key to SPS success. Oversized skimmer + BP/Natureef are popular choices for this goal. The best tanks on the forum run these combinations. You do not need to buy all these equipment now. But make sure you have room in the sump for them.

Wavemaker, I echo Mike's suggestion, Gyre + Vortech gives best result.

yea i guess only half, but i still want to make sure i have enough money for stand, lighting, skimmer, custom made sump, plumbing, return pump, wave makers, controller, etc. I do not want to end up having to spend a single penny over my budget, nor do i want to get something of lesser quality because the tank was so much just to meet my budget.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
C2C builds amazing tanks but yeah you pay every sent for them. Might want to look up DSA as they have made a few tanks on this forum and if you want to go with a coin flip look at glass cages, they have good prices but their silicon work can be sloppy and the customer support can be lacking.

If you are going understand, you just have to plan things out better. A manifold and return pump become very important choices. Do you have room for an external or do you need an internal pump? DC or regular?

C2C builds amazing tanks but yeah you pay every sent for them. Might want to look up DSA as they have made a few tanks on this forum and if you want to go with a coin flip look at glass cages, they have good prices but their silicon work can be sloppy and the customer support can be lacking.

If you are going understand, you just have to plan things out better. A manifold and return pump become very important choices. Do you have room for an external or do you need an internal pump? DC or regular?

DSA?
I had not planned on purchasing any equipment until after i got the tank, stand, and sump made. wife does not want anyting sticking our from stand, she wants a clean looking setup similar to this

Attachments

• Clean.jpg
    Clean.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 14

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Deep Sea Aquatics I believe. Tropiquarium I believe works with them, not sure if that is still going on but you can give them a call.

Deep Sea Aquatics I believe. Tropiquarium I believe works with them, not sure if that is still going on but you can give them a call.

Called the number for DSA, and it was disconnected. Did also call Tropiquarium and was given the number to rich at artistic aquarium. Rich said he will call me tomorrow with my quote and warranty information on the tank.

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I think Joe is correct, dsa is going through some changes of not out of business. Maybe price out the Elos tanks (like the second one pictured) and see if it fits your budget. I think the one pictured is the 160xl.

Elos System 160XL Aquarium

Not the same measurements as you were originally looking for but it's a very nice tank.

Aquatic Visions Inc
Aquarium
Address: 1420 W Blancke St, Linden, NJ 07036
Phone:(908) 523-0040

get a quote from them.....they build stands as well