• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank Upgrade & Tank move

What's the best way to transfer a setup from one tank to another...55Gal to 75 or 90 Gal without bringing across any pests...aptasia, etc...

I plan to set the new tank next to the tank it will soon replace. Anyone put those furniture coaster things under their tank? I am wondering whether I will be able to slowly slide it into place once it is setup and the other tank is empty.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Aptasia and mojanos are tough to rid from the tank. Persistance, lack of nutrients, kalk and preditors can help though. If you want to be sure the new tank has no pests then new rock, as Ed said, is definitely the way to go, but that will need to cycle.

Are you on carpet or hardwood? I would imagine that the sliders would dent the wood surface or press into the carpet enough over the time it has to be setup to be nearly useless. But I've never tried it, so I could be off base. I'd probably empty 90% of the water from the new tank to move it into position as I was getting rid of the old one.

Corals you can keep (unless you have pests like flatworms or red bugs, then you'll need to treat treat treat before bringing the new corals over and sometimes that doesn't even work).

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mantis32 said:
I am wondering whether I will be able to slowly slide it into place once it is setup and the other tank is empty.

If I understand your question, you wish to move a full tank. With saltwater at a weight of 8.556 lbs/gallon, assuming water only, 75 gallons equals 645 pounds, while 90 gallons equals 770 pounds. If you attempt to do this, please videotape, because I think there is a good chance it would make American’s Funnies Videos.

You didn’t mention the kind of stand, but I have a 120g on a metal stand (with six legs) and used those large plastic/foam coasters. They were terribly deformed, with a few of them snapping right in half. Ended up empting the tank and getting rid of them.

better off going to home depot, buying a ton of orange 5g buckets, $3ish each, a couple sturdy 30g garbage cans(rinse real well) syphon or pump water into cans, livestock rocks and corals in buckets, move what you have to move once it's empty, then put it all back in.... then return the garbage cans, kepp the buckets, cause they come in handy

Moved my 90 into my 150 last year.Go with the trash can route works real well.I bought the cans with the wheels on them.Moving a tank full of water is really not a good idea.Good luck with the move.

Thats what i did last year went to home depot bought a couple of 35g buckets filled half way so it wouldnt spill on the drive then returned when i was done. ;D im going to have to move my tank again and it sucks :(