• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank weight?

Hey all,

I am kinda new to this forum, been reading and learning atm. Anyway to my question. Is there anyway to get a average weight of a 120 glass tank filled with water? I am moving soon and I wanted to upgrade from AP24 to 120 Oceanic Tech. My concern is that I am moving into a condo and I am a bit concerned about the weight issue.

For the most part 1gal of water weighs about 9 lbs so 120 would weigh approx 1080 lbs plus the tank weight.

malulu

NJRC Member
that mean: normal/average person weight 150+ (conservative measurement).

1080 + 400 tank weight ==> ~1500 pound

if you think your future tank-spot can hold 10 person standing there forever, you are good.
;D

malulu said:
that mean: normal/average person weight 150+ (conservative measurement).

haha yah im like duoble that normal average=)

So if you were me, would you all think about going smaller then on the tank size? (which is not what I want to hear)

So help me my physics teacher will think she taught lessons on me for naught (probably true)....but if we filled the tank to the full 1400 pound capacity - there'd be nothing in there but water.

The LR and equipment added into the tank will displace a portion/volume of water. I just don't know (see my science here is bad) - if putting in 100 pounds of LR into a 120 gallon tank will display 100 pounds of water. I'm going to say it doesn't depend on the weight of the rock but the mass - and that leads me to say I have no clue what I'm talking about.

serious...someone throw me a bone here... :p

ok let see. still in physics so maybe this will make sense.
Im going to assume you will have a sand substrate of about 100-120lbs of sand
also 100lbs of rock, so that is 200lbs of water being replaces with rock and sand
that is 22 gallons. so you will have 98 gallons of water + 200lbs + stand filtration still assuming that you will be using a sump that will hold about 20 gallons of water then add the 400lbs for the tank weight and this is what you get, I hope it all makes sense
200+1062+400=1292
or 1282 if you have 120lbs of sand

Tank weight will vary depending on the density of the rocks you are using due to porosity. Fiji live rocks are usually pretty light, and is the most common. Kaelini is a little denser, and Base rock is even heavier. It's always safe to over calculate so you compensate for floor structures.

I live in a condo myself, I have a 5 foot tank to evenly disperse the weight over a few floor joists. I was lucky enough to have a perfect wall (also a load bearing wall) which floor joists run perpendicular. I think that the tank itself rests on 6 joists, and I'm calculating at least between 1200 to 1500 lbs in total static dead weight