• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tanks stand about to go - do I upgrade now?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Currently I have a 90 gallon display tank (48" x 24" x 18") in my living room with a 40 gallon sump and all equipment in the basement. My stand is starting to bow forward at the top where the tank meets the wood lip it sits on. Its pretty obvious the only solution will be to replace the stand (and soon).

So this begs the question, since it will have to be emptied and everything removed, plumbing disconnected, tank removed, stand replaced, then replumbed, filled back up and re aquascaped, do I upgrade?

The major issue I have is I live in a very old house and there are no walls that have more that 4ft of open space, so with the plumbing all in the basement already, the only option is to stay at a 48" long tank. That leaves a 90 or a 120. If I go the 120 route, then I need to upgrade my basement pump to handle the extra 600 GPH (and still be able to go up 16') as well as get lots more rock and some replumbing to handle 2 drains down to the basement.

I know we have lots of great people that can assist with the replacement either way all in the name of Yuengling, but.....ss all this really worth the time and expense to gain 6" front to back?

Thoughts / ideas?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Those 6" make the WORLD of difference. I think this is not only a good reason to upgrade, but a SIGN! Your aquascaping will be so much more fun in the deeper tank. We have some rock we're getting ready to get rid of, when you're ready to shop (marco looking rock).

Which pump were you planning on switching over to?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil, I personally think it is a world of difference. I have a 120 and everytime I saw my brother's 90 It looked so small and cramped. If you can afford it I would go with the 120 (especially knowing your 4 foot limitation) I believe it is easier to aquascape as well as the added benefit of water.

I haven't seen the framing layout of your house, but you could also go with the Marineland deep tank. The 150G is 36 x 36 I believe or the 200 which is 48 x 36. I have the 200. It is nice and roomy, it's a shame I Suck at aquascaping (and will probably ask for a volunteer to help soon), but there is plenty of room to do it.

So, you my vote would go for the traditional 48 x 24 120g. It would probably be more of a medium expense than the deep tank and also not have to worry if the house can handle it.

Taz

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tazmaniancowboy said:
I haven't seen the framing layout of your house, but you could also go with the Marineland deep tank. The 150G is 36 x 36 I believe or the 200 which is 48 x 36. I have the 200. It is nice and roomy, it's a shame I Suck at aquascaping (and will probably ask for a volunteer to help soon), but there is plenty of room to do it.

The tank option has to stay at 48". I have a lighting system I am very happy with that is 48" that sits directly on top of the tank and if I had to replace lighting as well as the tank and stand, that would be a deal breaker - espceially since replacing the basement pump is going to be expensive.

Tanks prices themselves down my way are pretty cheap - Value-Pet in Pennsauken sells the tanks and stands at just about cost, so its not the cost of the tank and stand that bothers me, it all the other "oh by the way, you also need to upgrade this" issues.

Phil,

There are some 120Gs with a single overflow like the 90G so you wouldn't need to upgrade pumps/replumb/etc. But 2 overflow is the better route.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh the 200 is a good option then. Do you have 36" front to back? They're still 4' long! That would be a blast to 'scape!

"I know we have lots of great people that can assist with the replacement either way all in the name of Yuengling, but.....ss all this really worth the time and expense to gain 6" front to back"

Phil,
I know we can't go there on this forum,But I believe that only a woman can truly answer that question! :eek:

I would definitely go with the upgrade,Like you said not only will you benefit but so will Yuengling! ;D ;D

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Oh the 200 is a good option then. Do you have 36" front to back? They're still 4' long! That would be a blast to 'scape!

Thats too much sticking into the room, and to realistically cover the front to back with lights, I would have to change the lights - and that decision is already firmly made. (I am not changing my light unit)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok. Then a 120 it is. When do you get it? We'll be there to help! :)

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Which pump were you planning on switching over to?

Assuming its possible (financially and home life aside), I have had great luck with GenX and use a Mak4 now, the the choices would be a GenX MAK5 or a Reeflo Uno Tarpin.

Keep in mind that many of the big pumps have a low head, I have to go up 15-16', that takes away a lot of pumps.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil

Did you expect the result of your upgrade question to come out any other way! ;D

Bob

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think the additional 30 gal will require additional flow from the sump. Maybe just increase the in tank flow with power heads / tunze / vortech or the like.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
I don't think the additional 30 gal will require additional flow from the sump. Maybe just increase the in tank flow with power heads / tunze / vortech or the like.

Because I use a manifold system like Phyl/John to drive other things, I am only pushing back to the tank about 420GPN. With a 120 and dual overflows, that just not enough going back. I don't believe I need to worry about getting 1200 back but at least 800-900 would be nice.

pgordemer said:
RichT said:

Because I use a manifold system like Phyl/John to drive other things, I am only pushing back to the tank about 420GPN. With a 120 and dual overflows, that just not enough going back. I don't believe I need to worry about getting 1200 back but at least 800-900 would be nice.

Just because you have more overflow capacity doesn't mean you have to use it. At least not right away. You can delay the pump upgrade for a bit. I have a korallia2 and a seio 620 you can use in the meantime.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As Bill alluded... You could place a cap a the top of the second overflow to prevent it from participating in the "overflow" and allowing the tank to utilize one overflow only. That should keep your current overflow noise levels.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:

I was thinking the same Rich, Do we have to push these overflows so close to their limits of design. I seem to remember reading a thread debating how much flow should be through the sump a long time ago on Reef Central. In the thread it was stated and debated that we run real high flow rates through our sumps and in other parts of the world they are running smaller return pumps with very low flow through the sump. I do believe that it was a standard practice to have multiple powerheads in the tank for flow.

In Fact I was considering to throttle back mine because they are screaming like a jet warming up to take off. It is currently much quieter than when I hooked them up, but becomes annoying after a while. Can't wait to build the hood and be able to hold back more of the noise.

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:

That is correct Phyl. It is 36 inches front to back, But in Phil's case an extra 18 inches from the current 90 protruding into the room may be too much especially if you try opening doors to the stand.

Are you volunteering to scape mine? LOL I thought it would be a blast also, but as I stated earlier, I am no good at it and will be begging for help someday! I Redid it 3 weeks ago, My wife likes it and I don't. Not sure when I'm going to redo it, but I would like to do it now while my frags are still small. Looking at your tank, You and John can come over any time and scape mine! ;D

Phyl said:
As Bill alluded... You could place a cap a the top of the second overflow to prevent it from participating in the "overflow" and allowing the tank to utilize one overflow only. That should keep your current overflow noise levels.
Instead of this, why not raise the standpipe a little higher so it does not collect water, but would actually be a backup if the other couldn't handle the flow for some reason.

Taz