• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tatooed fish

Paul B

NJRC Member
I know everyone has seen those dyed freshwater fish that are injected with green, pink or blue dyes. Yes I know it's wierd, cruel, mean, whatever, but I just came back from the LFS around the corner and now you can buy fish like that but they have names, hearts, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies etc on them. Crystal clear in flourescent colors. They even have them stripped and checkerboarded like a checker cab. I don't know how they do it but I think it's interesting, but yes, wierd.

Maybe I could make my hippo tang read "feed Me Worms" or "Eat at Joes"

I could make him green, pink, or purple all at the same time.

I could take a yellow tang and paint him to look like a moorish Idol. I'll be rich

Paul B

NJRC Member
tattooed20parrot20fish.jpg

Seriously gross ... Some one should try that on the guys who did this. Tattoo happy faces on their torso and inject pink dye in their lips to make them look like they are wearing lipstick permanently.

Why isnt this illegal again ??

gogol said:
Seriously gross ... Some one should try that on the guys who did this. Tattoo happy faces on their torso and inject pink dye in their lips to make them look like they are wearing lipstick permanently.

Why isnt this illegal again ??

I spent 3 years as a store manager for a "major national petstore chain", and I can't even count how many times I heard people say "fish aren't pets". REALLY? Then EXACTLY what are they?

Grr.. I will say this. The "national chain", at least at the time I worked there, did not purchase the substance altered fish...

Paul, old buddy

You and I have been sleeping under a rock for the last few years. These are not new but have been around for years. A buddy of mine just told me yesterday he worked in a LFS in Calif in 2004 and they had them then. Like you, I just found about about them :) AND from YOUR post on another forum ;D

Its terrible to do that to any animal. If it were a dog or cat people would be all over this(Local news,radio ect.) Since its "only a fish" no one says a thing. I hear alot of talk on various boards about wrong doing in our hobby. However it seems there is no action taken. How many times have we all made impulse buys without research? How many times have we seen painted glass cats? Dyed anemones? Yet most of us just stand by and watch that newbie buy his or her kid a yellow anemone for "nemo". Or the I LUV U fish for valentines day. Then these new comers get out of the hobby in no time when the animals die. We need to help educate these folks new customers as well as store owners that this is unacceptable. Our government is looking for any excuse to virtually shut down our hobby. Stuff like these altered fish and inverts only gives them fuel. So next time why don't we all speak up loud and clear don't buy that animal from this store because......
If we do it enough times it might just become contagious.

In Asia there are two types of fish that command major prices: Arrowanas and Blood Parrot Fish. Ever walk into a pet shop in Chinatown? It's all about goldfish, koi, blood parrotfish and arrowanas. Something to do with the feng shui stuff.

That stated I present a counter-argument though-

Blood Parrot fish are not a fish in the wild period. Therefore as a genetically engineered monster fish - it's already a bizzaro fish with little chance of successful reproduction. Coloring it in black, orange, white (usual coloration) or yellow, blue, makes no difference. So if you argued that blood parrot fish are an abomination - I'd tend to agree since all the males are sterile anyway.
1b.jpg

Most Asian having fish for FendShui not hobby. I would think people having yellow tang in 10gallan fish tank worst than this. At least tatoo fish one time deal ;D