• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Test Kits?

I haven't used or purchased test kits in many many years. Is Salifert still the way to go? Are the Hanna Ammonia checkers any good? Thanks in advance.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They are all user pref. I admit I have used a.p.i when i 1st started .tried red sea and now use Salifert.

I use Red Sea for most but API for calcium because I use a bot to test and Red Sea requires you to mix two regents and leave them in a vile in the bot. Problem is it breaks down fairly quickly and the bot can see the subtle change in color and rejects the test if the chems have been in there for a few days. API uses a stable premixed regent that doesn’t break down. So the bot prefers it and test are extremely consistent. With all that said. Red Sea is fine when using it as intended. Hand testing.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Depends on what you are testing for, different brands have been better at different tests.