• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Test Kit's

I have an instant ocean- ocean master from petco i think. Seems to work ok. Has all your basics in it. I'd like to try those suction cup ones that stay in the tank

Hawkeye said:
i use salifert except for alk - i use the lamotte one.

I've been using the salifert but i'm not to sure about their ph test kit it seems to never go above 8.0 i tested side by side with an api one and the api reads 8.4

I actually don't use salifert for Ph - i have a milwaukee ph monitor.

I use red sea for mag - but that is because it was the only kit available at my LFS.

salifert i use for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

Hawkeye said:

I use red sea for mag - but that is because it was the only kit available at my LFS.

what about calcium?

Hirobo said:
Hawkeye said:

what about calcium?

Salifert...

I do like the milwaukee. I had the pinpoint on my old tank (still there) in NY. The only difference I see is that the milwaukee has a small red dot (they call it an "Alarm") on it that lights up if your PH exceeds a level you set.

I would say either would work. Another thought would be to go the controller route - like a reefkeeper or ac jr or something.

I have been using API, but I have heard they are unreliable. Not sure if that is a rumor, or actually has some facts behind it.

I will say that it seems to be ok for me, but I am not doing comparison tests so this is based on the tank seeming healthy.

The one drawback with API is they can be hard to read when it comes to nitrate, phosphate, and PH.

I use API saltwater test kit and reef test kit currently, they're cheap and accurate according to everything I've read. I should get a magnesium kit though. If I could afford digital tests I would, I find testing very tedious and don't do it often enough.