• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Test Kits

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looking to get new kits and wondering what kits everyone uses. Not brand such as API, Salifert, etc.
I am thinking:
PH
Alk
Calcium
Ammonia
Anything else critical to test?

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
My testing:

ALK daily (Hanna checker)

Ca,Mg every weekend (Red Sea)

I’ve never felt the need to test anything else. If I start having an algae problem I just do a WC.

Idk if this will really help you it’s just y way of reefkeeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I test my alk every day with my hanna checker.

Every 3 days I check nitrate, calcium, and mag. (Red sea pro, Hanna, and red sea pro respectively)

Weekly I check my phosphates with my hanna ulr checker.

Ph and temp is constantly monitored through the apex and I have an American marine pinpoint salinity monitor for salinity. Periodically ill check my salinity monitor against a refractometer to see if it needs calibrating.

I also monitor par curves using a pmk from Neptune.

I think that's all my usual testing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Hanna - alk and phosphate
Salifert - nitrate, calcium and magnesium

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

burrito

NJRC Member
i just started my tank so using the standard reef api kit
ammonia
nitrate
nitrite
ph

once things are more established i plan on alk, ca, and mg going foward

I test for alk, ca, mg, po4, no3 and probe pH.

Salifert for everything but phos with a hanna ulr checker.

I am happy with it as I get consistent readings. I see an expected rise or fall if i dose or do a water change so i assume it is working well.

I started GFO a week or two back and saw a steady drop as expected with the hanna ulr. I also noticed clean symptoms like chaeto starting to die off algae kept at bay in the display.

BTW, a very big tip or advice on salifert tests that i found was with the 1ml droplets. You should aim for .85 of fluid and the bottom of the suction at the 1ml line.

I add or minus from the .85 if it takes to long to try to get it perfect. Simple math.

I test weekly
Alk, Phosphate ULR, and Calcium - Hanna
PH -API
mag and Nitrate -Salifert

Very happy with all these test kits.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
20% weekly water change.
Alk and Ca on occasion or when thing looking off.

Looking to get new kits and wondering what kits everyone uses. Not brand such as API, Salifert, etc.
I am thinking:
PH
Alk
Calcium
Ammonia
Anything else critical to test?

Some people will say I go over kill and from a past discussion will argue that there is only like 4 things that truely need testing for... With that said I test for everything that can be tested for particularly anything I dose for but to simplify
My primary tests
Salinity
Calcium
Phosphate
Nitrate
Alk

***ammonia when some thing doesnt seem right***

When I am feeling groggy and want to get a bigger picture of what my water is like I test the elemental
Magnesium
Potassium
Iron
Iodine
Silicate
Most will tell you the above is a waste but with the advances we have made in hobby when it comes to the understanding of trace elements they have a place even if at this moment its only a small one.
Realistically I look at water chemistry as a picture of the tanks environment using a side by side comparison of sea water to the water in my tank I dont chase numbers but my goals are to get as close to and stay close to what nature naturally provides.
But that's just me