• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

testing the PERFECT Salinity need advice

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hey guys, so im planning of setting up a QT tank and trying the Hypo salinity method of killing ich supposedly its the easiest yet the safest way without using copper....

well i have a refactometer that i purchased from petco a year ago and ive been using it to measure my salinity in my current DT but how do you really know its reading correctly any time you put distilled water it shows zero
but if you put salt water itll show lets say 1.025 but you can bring the calibration down to read 1.020 and then read distilled water again and youll still get zero...

so i work in a lab where they make inks and one of the scientist lent me a device here is the link
https://www.amazon.com/Atago-PAL-1-...refractometer&qid=1556798352&s=gateway&sr=8-3

this thing supposedly measure salinity to the finest of points i mean its $300 better measure it good
so when i tested it with a cup of salt water it showed up 0.5 percent but the refactometer i have is showing 0.7-0.8 percent which is alittle off and doing hypo requires that sweet spot supposedly..

You need calibration solution for your refractometer. You should not calibrate with RO water. It will get you close but not accurate. You can generally get calibration solution from any reef shop. It’s a small pouch of single use solution that you dial your refractometer to. Simple and accurate

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
You need calibration solution for your refractometer. You should not calibrate with RO water. It will get you close but not accurate. You can generally get calibration solution from any reef shop. It’s a small pouch of single use solution that you dial your refractometer to. Simple and accurate
you think a fish store would be able to calibrate it for me and itll be perfect?

It depends on the refactometer. The instructions for mine only say to calibrate with distilled water not calibration fluid. It reads spot on with my Milwaukee tester and every icp test I have done.

Yes. I was making the mistake of calibrating to 0 with rodi, for a while. It was not accurate.

you think a fish store would be able to calibrate it for me and itll be perfect?
I don’t trust any lfs to test my water. They Test everything in like 2 minutes. It takes me like 30 minutes to do a full set of tests, with development times and making sure I follow all instructions to perfection. I would get calibration fluid, good test kits, and what you need to do it yourself.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I don’t trust any lfs to test my water. They Test everything in like 2 minutes. It takes me like 30 minutes to do a full set of tests, with development times and making sure I follow all instructions to perfection. I would get calibration fluid, good test kits, and what you need to do it yourself.
yah i might have some of that fluid at work

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@nightmarepl if you have the refactometer from petco, that uses distiller/rodi water not calibrating fluid. Dont know how calibrating fluid will react to petco instrument

radiata

NJRC Member
The meter in question was designed to measure "brix", which is just sugar in water. Don't chase your tail...

I would say the lesson hear is don’t skimp on your refractometer. Make sure it is intended for salt water. And calibrate them whenever you have doubt. My self, I use two and calibrate if they don’t give me the exact same result Which is not very often.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I would say the lesson hear is don’t skimp on your refractometer. Make sure it is intended for salt water. And calibrate them whenever you have doubt. My self, I use two and calibrate if they don’t give me the exact same result Which is not very often.
yah ima try that calibrating it today to make sure it matches