• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Cycle

After a high of >0.25 and <1.5, my tank's ammonia level read 0 today (Nitrite <0.3; Nitrate just under 12.5). My tank is just under 2 weeks old. It can't have cycled already can it have?

I'm hoping you say yes because I REALLY want to get some snails in there to eat some diatoms up. ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The diatom bloom burning itself out is a good sign that you're at the end of your cycle. If you cycled with good live rock or seeded from an established system it is all together possible that you've cycled. You're going to want to wait until your trites drop all the way to zero before throwing the stocking party though!

You should be fine to add inverts now (some tough ones anyway). I added my cleanup crew at just about the end of my cycle also.

hey paula my tank cycled in a lttle over a week. be patient adding things at this point. go slow.. i noticed you only had 5 pounds of live rock. with no other sort of biological filtration other than your rock and sand. imo you need to add more rock. 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon is the general rule. if your tank is cycled you will want to add rock that is already cured or you will cycle again. im not sure what kind of flow you have but make sure there is enough flow going over your sand bed. this will help control the diatoms and detritus from building up on it. if your sand bed is going to be beneficial keep them from building up.if you have sufficient algae adding some snails should be ok at this point. if you add an invertabrae consider what you will have in your tank later. some of them like to eat coral polyps.. some of them are carnivorous. keep in mind what they eat for thier diet . for example hermits eat snails and some pick at corals. harlquin shrimp only eat starfish. research what you want in your tank and what will go with it later. you and the animals will be better off . if you want some kind of life i would go with some kind of shrimp peppermints are around 6 bucks. cleaners and reds are closer to 20- 25 bucks. if you are going to put a fish in i would try a green chromis. pretty colors and are less agressive than damsels. they are only around 4 bucks. they will also leave your corals alone down the road. just remember as you add things give the beneficial bacteria time to catch up. take it slow...steve

Thanks for the advice -- I knew I needed LR and bought some tonight on my way home before even reading the posts ;D

I bought about 10 pounds and added it, along with two turbo snails. While I was waiting for my stuff, I was lookinga the pretty corals -- luckily they were nice & expensive, stopping me from getting any.

What store do you go to?Take your time a little at a time.doing that also lets you build up your money for nice stuff.It's very hard some times.You really realize it when it's to late.Either your tank is out of ballance and lose something or it's full and you say wow wish I had that insted of this.