• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Next Big Thing?

So, a good friend of mine and I were chatting just a few days ago, and the topic of the "next big thing" in fish keeping and especially saltwater came up. Now, I know what you're thinking. What the devil could the next big thing in saltwater be? Well, opinions vary, and I was curious about YOUR opinion. What do you guys think the next big thing in saltwater will be?

See, from being on both the retail and the hobbyist end, I've seen some pretty crazy fads. The hobby goes in such strange waves, from tanks filled with pathetic, dead skeletons of acros and gorgonians, to the zoanthid craze, to blasto, to acans, to who knows what else, depending on where you live. There's the funky-percula-morph surge, which seemed to be mostly ridden out on the wave of interest in black percs. I kid you not there was actually a craze in Atlanta over blue mushrooms and Xenia umbellata (I loved it before it was popular! :p ) We're still in a post-Nemo craze of either people attempting to keep blue tangs in way too small of a tank so Nemo and Dory can "be friends" and people attempting to set up a Nemo tank with everything from the dentist's tank crammed into a 55 or worse.

I know my good friend's thoughts (he's thinking jellyfish and/or faux-planted tanks using various in almost gardening or bonsai techniques like the way Amano works with java moss), but where do you guys think we're going?

kathainbowen said:
So, a good friend of mine and I were chatting just a few days ago, and the topic of the "next big thing" in fish keeping and especially saltwater came up. Now, I know what you're thinking. What the devil could the next big thing in saltwater be? Well, opinions vary, and I was curious about YOUR opinion. What do you guys think the next big thing in saltwater will be?

I know my good friend's thoughts (he's thinking jellyfish and/or faux-planted tanks using various in almost gardening or bonsai techniques like the way Amano works with java moss), but where do you guys think we're going?

The bio bubble and the freedom filter...yes!

As for jellies...I can see it now...Buy an Aussie Acan, get an Aussie Box Jelly for free! Pick either cute little Carukua barnesi or bigger sibling Carukua barnesi. Got a problem damsel in the tank? Box Jelly to the rescue!

200px-Marinesting1.jpg

dry humor alert!

Oh, nos! Not irukandji!

*giggle* I don't think he meant those. I'm thinking he meant more like the upside-down jelly since they're commonly found in Florida and not of a status requiring any sort protection.

Personally, I think we may see more of a push towards people attempting to keep carnation corals and seapens, no matter how difficult they are to feed.

There was a similar topic on CZ and alot of the guys over there said Chalices would be the next craze in Coral.

I havn't been in the hobby long enough to know the past crazes but I still think Zoas are awesome, craze or not, and of corse SPS are just starting to be a thing for me.

I think the next craze will be nameing corals. Of corse there are names on Corals now but that's from actual coral farmers but more and more the average hobiest is selling their stash of frags and giving their coral as a marketing ploy.

i agree that Chalice corals are the next big thing.
i have been seeing more and more different verities offered by both hobbyist and the web(frag farmers). some are just 3/4 inch frags so this tells me they are not that abundant yet and being slow growers they take a while to circulate.

i also still see the LED lights as a new fad eventhough they have been around a while . as more companies start to get in the led market and technology advances the quality and range of the product the price will come down and they will probably be the new top lighting choice over MH
just my .02.............happy reefing ....AL

I think that someone will develop a safe way to seed corals unto a titanium grid, then supersaturate the water with calcium and add an electrical current through the aquarium to create an instant reef. ;D

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I think LEDs still have a good chance of being 'the next big thing'. Once they start making the parts good enough for inexpensive DIY, or some competitors to Solaris come in.

The world today is all about trying to cut back on energy usage. If you could have a 200 gallon SPS tank that uses 1/5th the electricity, but produces the same results as a thousand watts of metal halide, wouldn't you rather spend that extra money on more coral....

I'd say the two biggest 'next big things' in the year or so since I got into this hobby are the australian corals (duncans, for example) and the all-in-one nano craze.

:)

boozeman said:
I think that someone will develop a safe way to seed corals unto a titanium grid, then supersaturate the water with calcium and add an electrical current through the aquarium to create an instant reef. ;D

... aren't they already doing something like that in Dubai?