• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The start of my 55g part of the reef

Well i figured i should start this before i get to far behind in the progress.
A little info on the soon to be system,
Will be a 55g tank with 10g sump, Two Korlia 2's, Quiet one 3000 return, 4x54w T5's
Here is a full shot with most of the stand, tank, custom canopy and box of lights sitting on top. Still need to get something black to cover the back of the tank and clean the glass.

Full shot
104_0986.jpg

The lights
104_0987.jpg

Box of stuff from Dr F&S i got today,
104_0983.jpg

Close up on the little bad boys,
104_0989.jpg

Progress Pictures of the canopy,
1020071401.jpg

1020071454.jpg

Well that's about it for now. Wish i would of done this for my 20g. Then i could of kept track of stuff better.

Thanks guys!

I thought about doing that. I still need to wash the tank out you can still see some dead coraline algae from when my uncle was using it.

nice start - I like the black finish. It's actually good you don't have a built in overflow - the one I had from AGA - it really ate up a lot of real estate.

looking forward to see the progress pics...you can almost see your fish in the 20g wanting to "jump" over into the big new home! ;D

Thanks, haha i wish they would it'd save me some time. I think today we're going to try and finish up the canopy and install the lights. Man that aquarium spray stuff is nice. It made it shiny and got rid of all the marks from the water.

Thank you, Little update,
Done with the canopy (what a pita) all that is left is to move the sump over probably will rebuild it since i did a crappy layout last time. I think that is about it! A few little things like hanging the power strip on the back and wash the tank out now that the ground isn't muddy.

I've got two questions that is scaring me. My all my live rock has aiptasia anemones on them. I though about cooking it but i wanna know what you guys think. Also i got some thinner sand and was wondering if it'll be safe to mix with my sand from the 20g.

Thanks

saltwater4life said:
Thank you, Little update,
Done with the canopy (what a pita) all that is left is to move the sump over probably will rebuild it since i did a crappy layout last time. I think that is about it! A few little things like hanging the power strip on the back and wash the tank out now that the ground isn't muddy.

I've got two questions that is scaring me. My all my live rock has aiptasia anemones on them. I though about cooking it but i wanna know what you guys think. Also i got some thinner sand and was wondering if it'll be safe to mix with my sand from the 20g.

Thanks

I have mixed the smaller sand BUT the problem really is that it may blow away with the flow. As far as the aiptasia I have heard horror stories about that so I would watch out with that.

So maybe put it in first then top it off with my crushed coral?
I've been dealing with them since Dec or Jan... I've tried it all i gave up over the summer because there was nothing i could do that worked longer then a few weeks...

Might want to be safe and get new rock for the new tank. How much were you thinking about transfering over?

I've got about 30lb total in the sump and display. So you think my best bet would be to get new live rock and then cook my old stuff to kill everything or what else can i do with it?

I just recently redesigned mine because I made the return section too small. That is were the evap starts and if you don't have an ATO you may end up with issues there.

I though of that so it'd be go like intake/skimmer>three baffles>return.
The only thing i'm worried about is the refuge making a water fall into the return area. Since the refuge area is all 8" and the return isn't but maybe with your design it would only be an inch drop which won't make much noise?
Thanks,

Nick

saltwater4life said:
I though of that so it'd be go like intake/skimmer>three baffles>return.
The only thing i'm worried about is the refuge making a water fall into the return area. Since the refuge area is all 8" and the return isn't but maybe with your design it would only be an inch drop which won't make much noise?
Thanks,

Nick

I have a large waterfall from my fuge to return and I don't really get noise from it becuase I keep the flow through the fuge low.

Alright I like Brians idea and if i make the glass dividing the fuge a little taller then the only flow through the refuge will be the phosban reactor outlet.

Went and got the plumbing supplies. Should have that done by the weekend. Then i just need to get the glass for the baffles cut then I'll start moving stuff over?