• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The start of my 55g part of the reef

Well i hit a bump in the road... I don't know what i should do... I picked up a 10g last night for the sump and it won't fit though the door of the tank... So the only way I'd be able to get it in/out is pulling the tank/stand out and getting it out from the back of the stand... I thought about that DIY Melv did with the square in the side of the tank and slid it in. But i'm afraid to do that since that is 1/3 of the support in the stand. Only thing i can think of is cutting the bottom inside of the stand and then I'd have about 9" to work with getting stuff in or out of the sump.
Anyways i plan on doing the plumbing today and maybe getting the glass all cut.

you could always drop it in from above...take the tank off the stand, then drop the 10g in.

You should make sure the seals and everything are solid on the 10G before doing this though.

I can get it under there i just had to pull the stand out enough for it to turn. What i'm worried about is the skimmer (ASM mini G) If i will be able to get it under there or if i should get it first.

Thanks,
I'm surprised how nice it really came out myself.

Bad news...
Ordered the skimmer and is way different...
Here is what it was supose to look like,
ASMG41.jpg

Here is what it looks like,

If you click on the thumbnail you'll see there is a box under the body that holds the pump it's not on the side of the body... which makes it too tall.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That stinks! Maybe a different supplier will sell the model with the side mounted pump? That makes a big difference in height..they should really make it known that they redesigned it.

He said to return it. But he told me to never go by the picture. I don't think they understand that the model changed so i think i might send them a picture. Does anyone have connections with the people at TFJ Pet center? haha
The model i was wanting says 16.5" but this one says 20.5" even if it did fit i don't like it because the pump is built in to the bottom... so you can't mod it.

Wow forgot all about this...
Well anyways,
The tank was all set up over last weekend. Still no cycle...

First rock design
0306081442.jpg

Then after i added my other rock sitting in my 20g's sump.
55gmarch708.jpg

looking great - is that a 3 strip and yellow-tail damsel in there? Interesting choices (lot of personality) - just watch their "territory" disputes.

Thanks i was going to return the damsels when i upgraded but my mom said to throw them in so we had something to look at... the yellow tail chased the clowns around for a few minutes until they figured out it was his area... But i was surprised the 3stripe was defending the clowns from the yellow tail and he usually stays with them and keeps the yellow tail away :eek: something with the stripes? though that was weird... Anyways if i can get the damsels out I'll throw them in another tank.

~Nick

Personally of the damsels I always thought the Yellow-tail was nicer (chromis and clowns excluded). If you take away the Yellow-tails LR/hiding place home / - and re-arrange everything it will mellow out (or should). Probably the most vicious damsels in my opinion are the blue devil and that black domino...oh and a female maroon is not to be messed with. :)