• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Tell-Tale Reef

Hello to all,

I have been searching around the site and could not find an introductory thread where I could introduce my tank and myself. This seemed like the next best thing so here it goes.

I have been keeping SW tanks for several years now. Before I took the plunge I spent about a year just reading, researching, and just when I was about to dive in headfirst…I stopped and read some more!

I quickly discovered that the smaller the aquarium I used, the harder it would be to keep my parameters in check. I knew this was where I was to start. I chose to start on a 5 gallon Pico tank. In this tank I kept a little over 5 pounds of LR, LS, and 1 Clownfish. I had this tank running successfully for several months until I got the itch. I wanted more and knew I could not overload this system so I quickly upgraded my tank to a 55-gallon aquarium.

I had the 55-gallon tank up and running for over 2 years. This was my first attempt at keeping a reef tank. During this time I tested, experimented, and just had fun. I had a used MH light, skimmer, and canister filter among other new upgrades. To make a long story short, this tank also became too small.

Several months ago I decided to upgrade my entire system. I now have a 90-gallon reef ready aquarium, with a 75-gallon sump, a new MH light fixture (2x250W and 2x96W Actinic), 2x Koralia 1200GPH power heads, and a Reef Keeper II controller (highly recommended). I guess I went a bit overboard but this addiction quickly became an obsession. Before I made the transfer I decided to give away most of my coral for fear that they would not make a good transition into the new tank so there isn’t that much in my new tank.

The inhabitants consist of some transfers from my old tank and then some new recruits I have picked up. The veterans are, the Bi-color Blenny, Canary Wrasse, 2 Clarkiis (which have now been sumped due to their aggressiveness and soon to find a new home). The new recruits are 3 Chromis, 2 Onyx Perculas, and a baby Regal Tang. The coral are all transfers from the old setup and my Quad Anemone has been with me since I had my 55-gallon.

I don’t have an account to host my pics yet but here is a link to my Web Gallery that has some recent pics of my Reef:

http://gallery.mac.com/j.morales

Enjoy! Hope you like it and it's nice to meet you all. ;)

repost here:
Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

;D

or just swing by...

welcome to NJRC!

The website is a bit slow - but I grabbed one pic and lets test and see if it posts here:
web.jpg

hmm m- somehow the pixels are too big for web posting. If possible they could be re-sized...a third party web hosting site like photobucket could work.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to NJRC. Your tank looks great. So how long have you been running the 90/75 system?

Note: If the answer is longer than 2 months, it's time to upgrade again!

JohnS_323 said:
Welcome to NJRC. Your tank looks great. So how long have you been running the 90/75 system?

Note: If the answer is longer than 2 months, it's time to upgrade again!

Only a couple of months so this is a learning process for me but so far it's been a LOT easier to keep my parameters stable with the extra water sitting in the sump. The sump is a 75-gallon aquarium that I keep a nice amount of Chaeto in and some LR I didn't like in the display. I also like the fact I can hide all my equipment in it without cluttering the main display. So far, I am happy with the outcome.