• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thermometers

Hello all... I did a search on Thermometers and everything I found was old... I was wondering what everyone uses for a thermometer? I have purchased 4 Coralife Digitals, 2 Pinpoint Wireless and they all are "HORRIBLE"... I can't trust any of them... not only are they all different temps while the probes are all sitting in the same exact location of the tank but if I note the temp, take it out of the water and put it back in I get a different temperature...
I want to know if I take an old fashioned Mercury thermometer and put it in a safe place in my sump will that be the most accurate I can get? I will eventually purchase a RK System but not for a while...

Thanks...

Having the same issue. I use the mercury thermometers but currently have 2 with a 4 degree difference right next to each other. In order to calibrate the DA probe, you need an accurate temp. to start off with.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I found my infrared temp gun to be quite serviceable. I compare the result with apex probe it's always within 1 degree. That's good enough for me. I use it to check the temp in the QT tank and saltwater reservoir.

I have the same one in mikes link. There are so many use for this thing around the house.