• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Things we shouldn't keep - successes and failures.

JRWOHLER said:
***We should always make sure the species is not endangered***

WITHOUT QUESTION

JRWOHLER said:
I can see eventually taking more risks, but hate to see relative beginners take stupid risks too.

Most beginners don't take risks for the sake of trying something... they do them because they don't know any better. When the LFS swears that the mandarin is eating and an easy fish to care for, or that the carnation coral should be put high in the tank with the halides on... this is all they know.

Paul B

NJRC Member
So who's next? Moorish Idol owners? Blue ring octopus keepers?

My Moorish Idol was five years old when I killer him in an accident while I was away.
I have a few of them but before I bought the last one I went to Bora Bora to dive with them. I spent a week underwater following them (along with long nosed butterflies)
I learned a few things that I diden't know. They live in mated pairs, the mals finds the food which is almost always a lime green sponge and they swim long arcs around the reef. Most of them live in shallow water.
I collected a sponge in NY which they love. I could collect enough in 15 minutes and freeze to last all year.
I also designed a feeder for him where he had access to pellets a few times a day besides the sponge.
My tank is only 100 gallons which was too small for him but he got over it. I will not get another one in this tank but I feel I researched this fish enough to get one.
I think I could keep one forever now that I learned about them through my own eyes.

Where did you collect the sponges along the shore or in deeper water. You may have responded over on MR to the same question sorry if that is the case. I know Pedro Nuno Ferreira over on MR did his own collecting too, and I was pretty interested in giving it a try if I decided to get a sponge eating fish.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I know Pedro Nuno Ferreira over on MR did his own collecting too,

I spoke to Pedro about it and told him what type of sponges I collect.
They are only found on floating docks just a few inches below the surface. They are light brown and look like the mushrooms you see on dead wood. They are very easy to rip off the docks by hand and they freeze well. I collect them on City Island in the Bronx but I also find them in Seaford Long Island which is on the south shore. Moorish Idols love them and most of my fish ate it although I don't know the nutritional value if any.

JRWOHLER said:
Where did you collect the sponges along the shore or in deeper water. You may have responded over on MR to the same question sorry if that is the case. I know Pedro Nuno Ferreira over on MR did his own collecting too, and I was pretty interested in giving it a try if I decided to get a sponge eating fish.

Collect enough for 2 and I'll get moorsih idols!

I live close to the Navesink river/bay area. Right down the road from the boat launch. Which was what got me thinking....also kayaking is easy from there. Did you have any particular procedure for collection/freezing?

So if I collect them are you going to set up a species tank Bill?

Paul B

NJRC Member
Did you have any particular procedure for collection/freezing?

Yes I do, I stick my hand in the water and rip them off the dock, then I stick them in a container in the freezer ;D

They only grow about an inch high and they rip easily so you can't get all of it when you tear it from the dock but there are plenty of them. Do not collect the red tree sponges which grow with them as the fish do not like them much.
There are pictures of it in my gallery on RC.
You can't miss them. You will see mostly sea squirts and seaweed, do not take those as they will die shortly and stink, the sponge looke like mushrooms or ears stuck top the dock a few inches down. Just rip it off. Freeze it soon as they don't last long then cut small pieces off with a razor knife. As I said, I fed it to Moorish Idols, other fish don't particularly need it but many of them eat it. I don't know the value of it as a food except in Idols.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just looked on my RC gallery, I don't have that picture of that sponge on there anymore.
I have thousands of pictures so I don't really want to look for it but you will see the stuff on floating docks. This time of the year it will be just a brown coating. It gets larger when it warms up slightly

Paul B

NJRC Member
Beer cans, I have very good luck keeping beer cans in my tank.
The bottles have a longer lifespan and are easier to care for but I find beer cans to be particulary disease free and cheap.
Copperband butterflies also tend to like beer cans better than soda bottles. ???

Budcanandcopperband.jpg