• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Think I need to up my nutrients...maybe another fish?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
So in my grow out tank, which is an 11g frag tank over a 30g cube, I have a small yellow stripe...goby?...and a saddleback clown.

My tank is VERY low in nutrients, no algae growth, etc...my coral is growing slowly, but the SPS is VERY pale. lots of good polyp extension, etc...

I think I need to up my nutrients, which makes me think maybe I need another fish or two.

Any advice on fish that would fit well in that 30 gallon?

1690373040792.png

Subliminal

NJRC Member
What's the phosphate and nitrate?
Great question. Ha. No idea. Just know there's no algae, don't feed much as I have two tiny fish, and my corals are all kind of looking washed out. Light is legit, ALK is around 7-8, chaeto is ridiculous (probably a problem). Growth is good, color is poor...especially when compared with the same coral in my little display tank upstairs.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
With any of this stuff testing and retesting is always the best way to figure it out. The easiest adjustment would be to move the chaeto out of the system and see if anything changes, if it is sucking up the nutrients you will see that. You can also dose nitrates and phosphates but again you have to test to do that. If you want to go the fish route, you can get a mate for the clownfish, you could look at a royal gramma or a little six line. Clowns can be nasty so you want something with a little backbone in it or something that makes it home in the sand like a watchman goby or something like that. A small flasher wrasse would also work but you need a cover (can't see in your pic if you have one).

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Great question. Ha. No idea. Just know there's no algae, don't feed much as I have two tiny fish, and my corals are all kind of looking washed out. Light is legit, ALK is around 7-8, chaeto is ridiculous (probably a problem). Growth is good, color is poor...especially when compared with the same coral in my little display tank upstairs.

Pull a bunch of chaeto, leave less than you usually would and see if there are any changes. That should leave more nutrients available for your coral, well at least until the chaeto grows back.

I think You should not go by algae growth because your clean up crew can take it right away!!
A few weeks ago I got some Frags full with algae and in one night they look like there was never any algae

Subliminal

NJRC Member
@ericrodriguez @hcker99 Ok, so I took the plunge and bought some test kits. My little tank hasn't really needed an abundance of testing, and just...works.

My tank downstairs has proven more challenging.

I did a 25% water change (10 gallon) yesterday and tested a few things today:

Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
Alk 9.4 (way too high...think its the water change as that's the highest I've seen it)
Nitrate 1 (both tanks registered 1, so maybe that means none)

Phosphate test will be here tomorrow.

I think my issue is too high alk and too low nutrients.

Tank upstairs is 7.4 Alk and 1 nitrate...a state where it seems super happy...nice growth, alk usage, and coloring.

Downstairs is kind of bleaching out...still showing growth and polyp extension, though.

Figure I'll start adding more food and more reef roids to see if I can get nitrates up a little bit.

@ericrodriguez @hcker99 Ok, so I took the plunge and bought some test kits. My little tank hasn't really needed an abundance of testing, and just...works.

My tank downstairs has proven more challenging.

I did a 25% water change (10 gallon) yesterday and tested a few things today:

Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
Alk 9.4 (way too high...think its the water change as that's the highest I've seen it)
Nitrate 1 (both tanks registered 1, so maybe that means none)

Phosphate test will be here tomorrow.

I think my issue is too high alk and too low nutrients.

Tank upstairs is 7.4 Alk and 1 nitrate...a state where it seems super happy...nice growth, alk usage, and coloring.

Downstairs is kind of bleaching out...still showing growth and polyp extension, though.

Figure I'll start adding more food and more reef roids to see if I can get nitrates up a little bit.
Be careful with your phosphates if using reef roids!! Don’t go too crazy on it

Like other have mentioned, you need to test to make sure where are your nutrients at.
Love these 2 products to raise nutrients and they are almost spot on if you follow the instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpeg
    IMG_3096.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4